Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I didn't read the responses so I'm sorry if I'm just repeating someone else. I'm an LPC, and I broke out my DSM for you :) These disorders are easily misdiagnosed and many clinicians are quick to slap an ODD label on a kid who may actually have more severe problems.
ODD is less severe than RAD and typically does not include aggression towards people or animals, destruction of property, or a pattern of theft or deceit. To be diagnosed with ODD the child must have at least 4 of these behaviors: loses temper, argues with adults, actively defies or refuses to comply with adults, deliberately annoys people, blames others for own mistakes, touchy or easily annoyed, often angry or resentful, often spiteful or vindictive. In addition the child must also display a significant impairment in social, academic, or occupational functioning(not exclusively occurring during the course of a psychotic or mood disorder, not meeting the criteria for conduct disorder, or antisocial personality disorder). A child with ODD is at greater risk of developing antisocial personality disorder as an adult if the do not achieve stability. Also, ODD often further develop s into Conduct Disorder which is much like RAD but not necessarily stemming from attachment problems.
Children with RAD have had a negative attachment(or many) experience. They will often initially present as peaceable and well behaved and won't exhibit behavior problems until they begin to feel safe and the honeymoon is over. They do not understand how to trust or how to love or be loved. These individuals are prone to anger outbursts including aggression to people and animals, destruction of property, and serious violations of rules. These individuals are also at a greater risk of developing antisocial personality disorder if they do not achieve stability.
Kids with either diagnosis are not a lost cause. They can be helped! They can develop into normal, happy adults. It can take a long time, I would say a minimum of a year for progress, and there are often multiple times with regressing behaviors. Its a battle, a huge battle and you need tons of support and a great therapist and tons of prayer. Check out Karen Purvis, The Connected Child if you haven't already done so (but I'm guessing you have already done that, since you sound like you read a lot!). Generally, children want to attach to their caregiver and a child with RAD fights that desire tooth and nail. They 'know' that if they let their guard down they are done for and are going to only lose; they don't get it but they can.
For your little one: Zephaniah 3:17 The Lord your God is with you, He is with you, He is might to save; He will rejoice over you with gladness; He will quiet you with His love.