Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Bless your family! That is a hard road and I bet you guys are simply exhausted. Some RAD kids only act that way at home but others will act that way at school etc as well, it can vary and depends on severity. If the therapist is not trained in attachment then they would probably stick with a diagnosis like adjustment disorder nos, odd, or conduct disorder. Not to say they don't know what they are talking about, because they might be great, but that is just likely to be what they are more comfortable with. Finding a good therapist can be hard, my father is a psychologist and knows all the clinicians in our area but his referral list is very short.
We like the connected child for the most part, I agree it isn't a catch all but it does have some good ideas :) Good luck with your sweetie!
ETA: if a child with ODD begins to display destructive, manipulative, or aggressive behaviors the diagnosis should be ruled out and a diagnosis of Conduct Disorder should be given instead as those behaviors are more severe. That is what should happen, but some therapist will just not bother changing the diagnosis and just keep ODD. However, according to the DSM those behaviors are not consistent with ODD but they are with CD.