Advertisements
Advertisements
I am just starting out and it seems this section does not get much traffic but I will try. My husband and I have just started classes at WVCCC and they seem very nice but a little overwhelmed. Just wondering if anyone has gotten licensed to foster/adopt through them and if they make the process quick or if it seemed to take longer. Any stories of experience with them would be helpful so I know what I can expect. I have read so much about agencies that seem to want to make it so difficult. Just want to know if I am in for a battle. The need is so high here in AZ seems like they would want to expedite if we have everything done we are suppose to have. :cop:
MrsMichael33, I got licensed through RISE in Mesa, so I haven't heard of WVCCC. Buttttt, the faster you get everything done, the faster you will get licensed.
It definitely shouldn't be a battle!
After you complete PS-MAPPS, the licensing worker has a month to submit your application and home study to the state. The state then take about 4-6 weeks to approve or deny it. So, after training, you're looking at 2+ months of "down" time.
Hope this helps!
Advertisements
Thanks for the response I appreciate any info I can get. We have only been to two classes and I've turned in everything but the bios which I'm just editing before next class. So I'm totally on top of paperwork. Good to know they have a time limit for their part... Would be nice if we could get licensed by the holidays... They said we generally get placement same day. Exiting and terrifying at the same time! :popcorn:
Awesome!!
Also, I wouldn't expect to get a placement on the same day! haha. After you get approved by the state, you have to meet with the licensing agent to go over some stuff and she/he will add you to the open beds list.
I'm not sure what age you're doing, but we're fostering 5-9 year olds. We received about a call a week for 3 weeks. We said yes, to each child and never heard back on any of them. After about 3-4 weeks, we received a sibling pair.
So, just be prepared to say yes to your licensing worker, get REALLY excited and then never hear from CPS.
It's a crazy process, but you'll love it!!
We also noticed that they really try to keep the children close to the CPS office that the case manager works out of. It's easier for them. ;) We weren't chosen for the first 3 kids soley because of the distance (we live in Gilbert).
We are doing 0-10 and would prefer a sibling group so hoping that will make it quicker. I have a feeling I won't even notice how long it all takes with all the meetings & paperwork involved =0. I actually work in the same building as CPS office in Phoenix so maybe that will work in our favor. How was your licensing process? The home visits and inspections? They said 1 on 1 interview were like 3+ hrs, that seems excessive or maybe not idk. Thanks for ur responses. I've noticed on the forums how much the experience and process can vary between states. But I guess there is only so much I can prepare for. :thankyou:
It'll fly by before you know it! That's a great age range, I don't think you'll have a problem. Also, you're in a great location, most of the kids come from Phoenix (and it's more central!).
The licensing process was really easy! We didn't have any issues. The licensing worker would come over to do the home studies and always told us to plan on 3 hours or so. My husband and I are very "to the point people" and not big talkers... haha. So, a 3 hour meeting was more like 30 minutes. I'm thinking long winded people may make it to 3 hours, but even that is stretching it! The questions are pretty ridiculous...
It's really hard to prepare!! You never know what you're going to get. Even after all the classes, we didn't necessarily feel "ready!"
Advertisements