Advertisements
Advertisements
I would like to get my adoption records unsealed. I already know the names of my biological parents, however i would like to get my whole record unsealed by the court. I was adopted in Dallas County. Can someone guide me on what i need to do, to do that?
:thanks:
If you have the birth parent names you can request your information through the Texas Department of Vital records.
Advertisements
Hey all, I've shared this before because although all states are different, much of the administration of the court is the same.
First, to unseal records is not simple. The sealing of records was handed down by the state legislature. The judge only enforces the law. Altho, on some occasions he does have some discretionary powers.
The 2nd part is the requirement that you tell the court the reasons you want the records unsealed. If the records are sealed, the request of personal information such as parents name, or religion, age, or profession or any identifying information of the people in the records are not usually accepted by the court.
Many courts do not accept terminal disease as grounds for unsealing records.
The 3rd part is classified as "good cause."
A court may, in it's reviewing your petition, require that you tell the court what you want it to do. You will be required to present evidence for your reasons.
If the evidence you give to the court is more compelling than the reasons the records were sealed, the judge will note that "good cause" was shown, and rule.
Some states allow direct communication with the judge via letter, others prohibit this. Some states allow only the use of their own state forms to petition the court.
To consider unsealing records my suggestion is that contact be made with the Clerk of the Orphans Court to get information on how to obtain the information you are seeking.
The Clerk will provide what is required and how to get the information from the court records. That information is free. They will not give legal advice.
Additionally, because the Clerk provides information on what forms to use, and how to petition the court, and altho, the court will be pleased that it's criteria was met, it does not guarantee that the court will give the information.
I wish you the best.
Yes I went to Lone Star Drive in Dallas to the dept of child and fmily services where the court that handles adoptions is and requested my fiole and had it a week later. very easy
Advertisements