Advertisements
Advertisements
Some good news...when things seem impossible, sometimes they aren't...
(Disclaimer: Granted, I know my biological mother (she raised me) and I am in a somewhat reunion with my birth father, but, still, I think this is pretty uncommon.)
I sent a letter to the judge in the county where my adoption took place (in the 70's) and asked for my OBC. He actually opened my adoption file but there was nothing in it - no OBC or amended birth certificate. The state informed me that I would need to ask the judge to order the I(Iowa)DPH to open my OBC. After a couple of letters back and forth, the judge granted this request and I received a copy of my OBC. I've heard and read of others that have had the same amount of information as me and have not been so fortunate. Just thought I'd share...there is always hope. :cheer:
Good news - it feels really amazing to hold a factual record of your birth doesn't it.
Kind regards,
Dickons
Advertisements
Dickons
Good news - it feels really amazing to hold a factual record of your birth doesn't it.
It feels quite amazing, thank you!!! I told myself I would be fine either way, but when I got the first rejection letter from the judge (that he couldn't help me) I cried at the dinner table. Then I got more determined and dug a little deeper and asked more questions and they sent me my amended birth certificate (which I already had) and that just made me mad. So, I called around some more and when I finally got the "real deal" I skipped and hopped and jumped all over the house! Some might think it's odd to get excited over a piece of paper, but it's the fact that it is the TRUTH from the very beginning of my life that matters!! That piece of paper - and what it represents - is so, so powerful!!!!
Moombeam,
I bought a beautiful picture frame and it now hangs on my wall...
And I found out how much I weighed at birth...little things I would never have known...
Kind regards,
Dickons
I put both of my birth certificates side-by-side, took a picture of them and captioned it "MY TRUTH". It is something I will treasure forever.
Secrets and lies don't mend families; they only cause more pain. Speaking my truth has made me more "me" - I wish I would have had the courage to do it 25 years ago, but I'm sure there is a reason that at 40 years old I was meant to reach out to my birth father.
I'm learning new life lessons every single day because of this journey.
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would post a comment.
I was someone who was raised by my biological mother. I was adopted by my step father shortly after they married.
Despite my mother's anger and upset with my biological father, she saved my original birth certificate. I was SO GLAD she did that. I also had a relative of my mother's who saved photos of me with my biological father. I was also eternally grateful for that.
My reunion didn't go well with my father. Long story. However, I was eternally grateful to have these "connectors" to my heritage. That is why I think it's important for adults to save these things for an adoptee.
Congrats on obtaining your OBC.
Advertisements