Advertisements
Advertisements
Originally Posted By Ileana
I used the orphanages' representatives. They walked me through the whole process. The director at the orphanage placed Jonathan with us. She is very good. All five couples that were with us, the babies looked like the fathers. I am not joking. Our son looks like my husband. Feel free to contact me please! I would love to help you. ICapilla@Bellsouth.net.
Hi:
I am presently living in Colombia. Even though I have not started the adoption process, I am looking forward to it.
Ive had friends that adopted from FANA, they had a very good experience. I know there are a lot of other places too. Ej. Fundacion Los Pisingos, Cran, Casa de la Madre y el NiԱo, Casa de Maria y el Nio, and some others.
You can find almost all of that places on the internet.
Good luck with your process..
Advertisements
Do you speak Spanish? Just to know. I'm from Puerto Rico and lived in Baltimore. Of course as soon as I can.
Keep in touch,
Mildred
I also speak spanish and am wondering if one of you could e-mail me the same info. My husband and I are interested in adopting a little girl, age 3-6, preferably who speaks Spanish. We have heard that you can adopt independently (without an agency) from Colombia.
Additionally, do any of you have any advice about purchasing the packet from LAPA (Latin American Parents Assoc.)? It costs $60 and is suppose to take you step by step on adopting from South America without an agency. I would love to save the $60 if someone knows of where to find a list of everything I need on he internet.
I would love to hear how things are going for all of you. We are just getting started and I'm so excited. Feel free to e-mail me at Dibe25@aol.com
Please make sure to put a subject on your e-mail that makes sense to me so that aol doesn't classify it as spam.
Look forward to hearing from you!
Marisol
Advertisements
Hi Everyone
I was wondering if any of you are from Canada?
I called the Colombian Consulate here in Canada today. They told me that I have no choice, but to go through an agency. Apparently, the laws in Canada are pretty tough when it comes to adopting and you HAVE to go through an agency.
Hopefully, someone out there can share their expereince with me. It looks like I've hit a road block.
SU
You know what? my friend's mother (who worked for ICBF in Colombia and is colombian) recommended us to go with an adoption agency. So if Canada laws required i think is going to be less painful with them. The only thing is that you have to choose a good agency that have Colombia in their program. Right now I'm going to have a meeting with a Lutheran Adoption Agency. I'm not lutheran, but they offer the service to anyone. And they seems affordable. Their site is lanadopt.com Check if they offer services in Canada.
Good luck!
Mildred
Su, I agree with Mildred, it is going to be much easier to go through an agency. It is more expensive but there would be less problems and stress for you. Are there many agencies in Canada? I suppose there are, there should be many options for you to choose from.., just make sure you ask for references.
Hi everyone! sorry to just jump in your thread. But I am hispanic so that got my attention from all of you :-)
We are looking at Wide horizon for children, specially because we are ok with age if we go with them (i am 37 and husband 38). Do you know if they have a good program in colombia, they use mainly chiquitines... can we call chiquitines directly? I am also wondering about the wait, what have you heard??
muchas gracias!
Lisa in CA
starting paperchasing for #2
Advertisements
I haven't heard anything about them. I know that lanadopt.com woorks with Colombia. They are lutheran but offer adoption services to everyone. Check if they serve CA. I have a meeting with them next Friday. I'll ask and let you know about your questions. I'm 36 soon 37 and my husband is 37 soon 38 too.
Good luck
Mildred
Yes you can call them direct and ask whatever your want. You find their info in the site of colombianadoption.com
Mildred
Is not in the site i just told you is: US Embassy Bogota Colombia. This site gives you all the information about adoption in COlombia and has a list of the different adoption agencies there.
Mil
Hola todas!
I'm interested in adopting from Colombia too. I live in Illinois and wondering if it is possible to adopt with out going through an angency but working direnctly with Colombia. Has anyone ever done this ? Please let me know any info about your experinces, attoneys used or angencies.
Thanks
Susanna
Advertisements
Please remember that both the U.S. and Colombia have ratified the Hague Convention on international adoption now. As a result, the rules are totally different from those discussed on this old thread.
As an example, you can no longer adopt from Colombia without an agency. You MUST use an agency that is licensed in the U.S. and accredited by the U.S. State Department, via the Council on Accreditation. And you cannot contact birthmothers or orphanages directly, as that is viewed as encouraging corruption.
Even if you were able to complete an adoption in Colombia without following the Hague rules -- and that really isn't possible -- you would not be able to get an adoption visa for your child to come to the U.S., because the USCIS requires proof of Hague compliance before an adoption visa is issued in the case of adoption from a Hague country. You would have to live overseas with the child for two years and then apply for a visa, or else overturn the adoption and return the child to the orphanage.
For more information about the process of adopting from Colombia for American citizens, please go to the adoption website of the U.S. State Department, at adoption.state.gov. You'll see a drop-down box with a list of countries; select Colombia, and then view each of the topics. That same website also has a section on the Hague Convention that you may find interesting.
Sharon