Advertisements
Advertisements
I always knew I would have to have this conversation with DS. The conversation when I tell him that something is not a nice thing to do or say and he responds that XYZ does it.
In this case we were discussing the word, "gross" which I don't like at all. I have asked him to find other words to use that are less hurtful and more descriptive. He was saying that a cut on a friends knee was gross and I suggested he use sore or owie instead.
His response was to tell me his teacher says "gross". So I told him that it was okay for others to say it but in our house we don't like that word. I told him that he is my son and his teacher is not so I only worry about what my son is doing.
He seemed to get it but I'm not sure.
Anyone have similar experiences?
I think it's a good idea to pick your battles and not make an issue out of everything that one can make an issue of. Banning the word gross is a little over the top, imo. It's not a bad word and there is no harm in saying other than that it bothers you because you don't like it. Is it really worth it to make an issue over this? Is it even a legitimate demand for your son to not use a descriptive word commonly used by kids and is not a bad word?
Advertisements
I've definitely had similar experiences.
We don't like "shut up" which is typically accepted by others, much as "gross" is. Your house, your rules.
I say at this age that's fine. As your child gets older you may have to pick your battles.
Thank you for your replies!
I will definitely pick my battles, and I picked this one for a reason. Everything was gross all of a sudden, including the differences both he and I have in our appearance. I don't want my son calling something about himself gross.
That's why I picked this battle to fight.
He seems to understand that our family has standards, just like every family does, and that they might be different.