Advertisements
Advertisements
Has anybody ever been matched out of state only to have ICPC rejected by either their state or the state they are adopting from? If so what was the reason?
I am just curious, at first I was told that ICPC is nothing but a formality but the worker for my state is saying otherwise.
I am in CO and the state of TX would not accept the type of homestudy I had.. but I know thats not all of the ICPC process...
Did yours get denied?
Advertisements
No, it was not denied its still in progress. I am just concerned, I would be crushed if this placement did not happen at this point.
I was going to get out of state kiddos..and it couldnt happen. They did not accept my private agency homestudy...and instead wanted county homestudy. But county would not do one because i already had one with the agency!
It will be rejected if you do not meet the requirements of the sending state. So for states that do not allow gays or singles to adopt, it could be rejected. Nevada will not reject you for either of those though. Also, if you have any convictions or charges or a bankruptcy that may have been acceptable in your state or not required further follow up in your state you may be denied if it is not acceptable in Nevada.
We had an ICPC for an out-of-state kinship placement. In our case it was definitely more of a formality (though obviously if we hadn't passed drug test/bg screen, I assume we would have been rejected), however I have heard of others on here whose states couldn't work out an agreement, like the receiving state would request tuition reimbursement from the sending state, or refused to pay the medical care (provide state medicaid) or supervise the placement (like CW visits)... We were not informed of the details of our arrangement, but the sending state pays the stipend/daily rate in our case, but our state provides medicaid and is not reimbursed for public school tuition (as far as I know)...
No personal experience, but I have heard the states can be nitpicky and disagreeable. Perhaps that is more likely to happen in a non-kinship situation.
Advertisements
halary
We had an ICPC for an out-of-state kinship placement. In our case it was definitely more of a formality (though obviously if we hadn't passed drug test/bg screen, I assume we would have been rejected), however I have heard of others on here whose states couldn't work out an agreement, like the receiving state would request tuition reimbursement from the sending state, or refused to pay the medical care (provide state medicaid) or supervise the placement (like CW visits)... We were not informed of the details of our arrangement, but the sending state pays the stipend/daily rate in our case, but our state provides medicaid and is not reimbursed for public school tuition (as far as I know)...
No personal experience, but I have heard the states can be nitpicky and disagreeable. Perhaps that is more likely to happen in a non-kinship situation.
This is where we are now. If they refuse over a couple thousand dollars, I will really not be happy. Sending state doesn't want to give a penny and receiving state wants more than the average college tuition. :grr: The child just doesn't matter in this equation. It's all about the money.
Confused46
This is where we are now. If they refuse over a couple thousand dollars, I will really not be happy. Sending state doesn't want to give a penny and receiving state wants more than the average college tuition. :grr: The child just doesn't matter in this equation. It's all about the money.
What state do you live in? Public tuition in Iowa consists of less than $80 a year, its just called a book fee.
My oldest foster daughter had a fictive relative in a neighboring state. They are foster parents to her family members.They had an approved adoptive home study from their state. Our state did not like what they read in the home study and denied the placement. She then went to open recruitment in our state and is transitioning to a wonderful adoptive family.
bossman150
What state do you live in? Public tuition in Iowa consists of less than $80 a year, its just called a book fee.
I try not to post too much identifying information but the tuition for non residents (which is what they consider a foster child) is pretty hefty.
Advertisements
Can you say you will pay the difference & have it resolved? Or does that make too much sense?
alys1
Can you say you will pay the difference & have it resolved? Or does that make too much sense?
I haven't offered yet, but I will if it comes to that. It's really unreasonably expensive, though. For that kind of money, I'd rather put her in a private school.
Thanks all, I have nothing negative in my home study, its all very positive. No criminal record or bankruptcy and Nevada already matched me with the boy so I hope I have nothing to worry about.
Advertisements
bossman150
Thanks all, I have nothing negative in my home study, its all very positive. No criminal record or bankruptcy and Nevada already matched me with the boy so I hope I have nothing to worry about.
I wouldn't worry about the tuition issue either. That only comes up for foster or relative placement, never pre-adoptive.
bossman150
Congratulations on your match! I'm sure everything will go smoothly :) We are waiting to hear back if we have been matched in Nevada and the wait is killing us. So happy you have made it through this step.