Advertisements
Advertisements
What do you refer to birthparents in an open adoption? Like in pictures? What does child call them during visits and phone calls? Plus we are a relative adoption. (almost it isn't finalized but they already signed rights over) my brother knows the baby calls us mom and dad. Birthmother refers to me as mother figure. How and when do I explain I am not just a mother figure but his mother?
Sorry for the double post it said something wasn't right so I change title and now both post went through. Thank you for any advise you may have.
Advertisements
When we are talking about birthparents to children we say "your birthmom _____" or "first name" when our kids are talking about birthparents they say "my birthmom____" or "first name". In person our kids call birthmom by her first name.
When it comes to grandparents we use both "your birth grandma____" or "grandma firstname". When child talks about them they say either "my birthgrandma___" or "grandma first name".
When referring to birth siblings we say "Your birth sister___" or first name. When child talks about birth sibling they do the same. When talking to birth sibling they just use first name.
I think however you choose to refer to the birth family the children will naturally follow. So go with what you feel comfortable with.
Another kinship adopter here :)
We adopted when J was older (she came to us when she was 5), so we use her words
On pictures, I append their first name
so, its 'Daddy J" and "Mummy T"