Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi Everyone!
I would like some input, or maybe personal experiences, regarding adopting an older child (10-15 years old-ish) when there are younger adopted children already in the home.
We started fostering our current two children in 2008 (when they were 13 months and 2) and adopted them in 2010. DS is now 7 and DD is 6. DD is medically fragile, but not too much extra work as far as that goes. These kids came into our family at such young ages that they don't feel adopted.
My husband and I are seriously considering adopting again (a waiting child in foster care), but we do worry about how adopting an older child with extra foster care "baggage" will affect the younger children already in our family.
We want to do the right thing by everyone, and that includes any future adopted children. We want to know - is it better to wait until our children are grown and gone, or can we grow our family now? We wouldn't worry so much if it was a younger child or infant adoption, but that's not what we want. What do you all think?