Advertisements
Advertisements
For nearly four years, I've had my heart set on adopting a child. Before I had fully decided this was the path for me, I had been considering adoption for three years. I realize that it will be more difficult for me to adopt as a single woman as apposed to a married couple. I have never smoked, nor do I allow smoking in the house/car. I do not drink, not even socially. I have never done any illegal drugs nor have I abused any type of prescription medication. I have no health problems, other than mild hypoglycemia (no need for medication) and I am a healthy weight and keep active. I do have a job that pays very well. I'm currently building my finances to be able to afford the costs of adoption (home study, possible attorney fees, travel expenses, etc). I am also putting aside the urge to make unnecessary purchases (a new laptop to replace my crashing one, overly-spoiling my new nephew, buying toys for the office, etc.) in lieu of saving up for a new, safe car for toting around a little one (or two).
I know I'm not 100% ready to adopt a child as this very moment, but I am 100% dedicated to beginning the adoption process as soon as I am ready financially. I want to make sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that I will be able to care for my child(ren) when and if they are placed with me. My main concern is building my support system. I know that my father and younger sister (23) will be 100% supportive of my decision to adopt. I'm confident that my aunt, if not supportive at first, will come to be supportive because she has taken on the responsibility of being a foster mother herself and absolutely loves it. My youngest sister (19) just had a baby of her own and I'm sure, as a new mother, she would be morally supportive. It's my mother that I'm most worried about not being on board with the idea, even though she is a foster parent (my foster sister is now 14). I always felt, growing up and even now, that she didn't much care for me. Not to say that she wouldn't love my child, because I'm sure she would, but that she may resent him or her subconsciously and wondered if my child(ren) would be able to sense that on some level and how would that affect them? Especially considering that I would very much like my mother to be involved with my child(ren). Has anyone has any similar issues with very close family members being against their adoption or perhaps not wanting to spend time with their child because they're adopted? Any advice you could give me on dealing with the situation would be very helpful.