Advertisements
Advertisements
Sitta
Certainly. I've heard of several. Hermes is one of these, for example, and he's also associated with certain tales in which young children are found and subsequently raised by foster/adoptive parents.
I was raised in a devout household and initially did believe it. The idea that one can know and follow "God's will" can have a certain appeal. There are some religious ideas that can be comforting to some in certain ways and under certain conditions but are problematic in others. This is one of them.
In addition to being a way to "explain away" particular events, the appeal to "God's will" can also be a way to abdicate one's own decision-making power.
Thanks Sitta! I'd forgotten all about Hermes. At the beginning of my reunion I dove head first into anything about synchronicity, there are no coincidences and all of that chance/luck sort of stuff. Especially anything inner/outer, conscious/subconscious. Hermes, my guide to the underworld and transition, gotta love him:love:
Advertisements
kakuehl
Is anyone willing to share what effect your faith has had on your adoption journey? Whether you are adoptive parents, the adoptee or the birth parent.
Sorry if this thread got derailed from what you intended Kakuehl.
I did want to say that many things have happened for me during my journey that lead me to believe something was behind it. Some force, god, angel, energy, spirit, luck of the draw, whatever it may be, for me that something remains a great mystery. I find peace with that mystery.
I'm leary to name it. Probably due to what Sitta mentioned.
"There are some religious ideas that can be comforting to some in certain ways and under certain conditions but are problematic in others. This is one of them.
In addition to being a way to "explain away" particular events, the appeal to "God's will" can also be a way to abdicate one's own decision-making power."
in Christian theology, is the admission of a believer into the family of God. In the Reformed ordo salutis ("order of salvation"), adoption is usually regarded as a step immediately subsequent to justification.