Advertisements
Advertisements
This is something I wasn't prepared for at this age.
Dd is 7 and is starting to think boys are cute. Luckily her idea of liking boys is chasing them at recess. We've talked about how liking boys is ok, but kissing/hugging is not at this age. Dd also has precocious puberty, so this may be driving some of this.
I'm trying to set a foundation for keeping communication open, so I'm not telling dd she can't like a boy. During a conversation, she said "black boys aren't very handsome." *sigh*
I've commented in front of dd before about some men being handsome, including men of all races, but not much as I figured it wasn't age appropriate. I did spend some time after her comment pointing out some Black men she knows whom I think are handsome as well as kind/smart/funny. Feels rather odd to talk to a 7 yr old about this!
Her new school is a majority Black school, so I think this fact will allow her to meet more Black boys eventually. Last yr there was only 1 Black boy in her class, but other black girls. Since she was more interested in girls for friends, this did not seem like an issue on my radar.
Anyone have ideas on how to address this? I don't care who she likes (when she's 30 and can date!), but I want her to have a healthy view of her race.
Not at the age of 7. But I do want to say, your daughter isn't the only girl to chase boys. I've had 2 of my boys chased by girls!!
Advertisements
My bio. teen has always been the same way. We are CC (light skinned, blond haired, blue eyed) but he has never crushed on a CC girl. He usually likes AA girls. He finds AA girls attractive.
I guess I just don't see what the big deal is or why it's an issue. I've never thought of it as an unhealthy view of his race (we now live in an area where CC are literally the minority, but this started well before this was the case). I just took it as he finds AA girls attractive in the same way I find tall, beefy men hot. :cowboy:
I'm 56yrs old and *I* can remember many of us girls chasing boys during recess! LOL I also think the way commercials/cartoons, media in general places SO much emphasis on looks and 'what's cute/what's not'...her behaviors aren't too out of place unless she's talking about sexual stuff with them. (And I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm just sayin'...)
I also think, from my experience of having 2 Asian babies grow up and now, three AA, one His/AA little ones to raise---that interest in a particular ethnicity isn't uncommon. Dh and I are both seemingly white and I remember my oldest DD (Asian) talking about how she wanted to become white once she was older. I was appalled and explained that if we'd wanted a white baby, we'd have had one!
I've also listened to my AA son talk about being white one day---again, discussion happened to explain his thinking.
And I know personally, *I* find darker skin attractive and I've mentioned this when they've been around. My oldest dd says she thinks blonde hair and blue eyes are more attractive and discussion takes place. :)
I honestly wouldn't worry about it. I think it's normal anymore---sad, but true. Twenty-five years ago I might not have thought that, but in today's societal sick treatment of sex, scant clothes and promiscuity--like it's a primary milestone, I think her attitude isn't far from the mark of what many girls her age are talking/acting out.
Sincerely,
Linny
My daughter, who is Chinese, has friends of various races, but her views of attractiveness have changed over time. As a little girl, she wanted only White dolls (to the extent that she played with dolls at all; she preferred stuffed animals!) She assumed that she would marry a White person.
As a teen, however, she became infatuated with Korean boy bands, and decided that East Asian men were the most attractive, followed closely by South Asian/Indian and Middle Eastern men.
Becca's almost 18 now, and still prefers Asian men. She's in college now, and one thing she dislikes about the college she chose is that "everybody is White and 8 feet tall." It's not true, of course; there are some short Asians and people of other ethnicities, though the school does seem less diverse than some other colleges. But since she is 5 feet 1/2 inch tall on a good day, and weighs under 100 lb., she simply can't picture herself being attracted to some tall White guy, or to some Black or Hispanic male. She says that they all assume she's someone's baby sister, although she has the curves that belie that assumption, and she hates having to look way up to see their faces.
Sharon
My DD is biracial (AA/CC) and she went through this at that age and it changed as she got older (now 12). She also went through an identity shift where she really wanted blonde hair and blue eyes but wanted brown skin like me. Your DD is finding herself and her likes/dislikes. He interest in white boys does not damage her self identification or her racial identification. It is great to point out the handsome AA men in her life but do not shame her into feeling like what she finds appealing or attractive is wrong. If you do not stress it she may just get over it.
Advertisements
Maybe ask her what she considers handsome and why she doesn't think black boys are handsome. I agree people have preferences but there's a difference in preferring one race/ethnicity and thinking all men of one race aren't handsome.
I imagine this will likely evolve. My daughter, African-American, doesn't have a preference... at least I don't think. However, currently I have already arranged her marriage to a white jewish boy that I've loved since kindy. They are both now 10 and are very good friends. His parents and I are in full agreement on this arrangement. Lol... He is the kindest, sweetest little boy on the planet and I would be thrilled to have him as a son-in-law. They are so protective of each other that it truly warms my heart... Once I had an agreement with my daughter that if she aced her spelling test I would get her a pokemon stuffed animal, well she didn't ace it. My future son-in-law ran into me before I had a chance to pick up my daughter and told me she didn't ace it. I said, okay... he didn't budge. He looked me right in the eye and said, she tried VERY HARD Ms. Fe! I said, okay... and tried to move past him. Not happening... I basically, had to agree to buy the pokemon toy any way. I just looked at his mom and we both shook our heads... Those two are so funny. I can't wait until they realize they're perfect for each other in 15 years or so...