Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Thread: NBC - Rehoming
This article points out some things that need to brought to light, however it leaves out some things.
Most children adopted from other countries are not abused and are doing well and are loved and cherished in their new homes.
Many agencies do a terrible job of preparing adoptive parents for the challenges of raising children who have been through early trauma. (loosing first parents, loosing their country, time in orphanages, abuse, neglect, fetal alcohol, etc)
It is extremely difficult to find help for these kids. They do not get medicaid and private insurance may cover very little of thousands it costs for psychiatric care.
However, I will say again that most of these children are doing well and are loved and not abused.
I know many of them.
I also know several children who were adopted from disruption. These children were all adopted through legal channels. Their parents had legitimate homestudies, completed interstate compact requirements, went through the court system and completed post placement reports notifying the countries in which the children were born. These people are not child abusers. They love these children.
Fact: Some adoptive parents turn out to be abusive.
Fact: Most adoptive parents are not abusive.
Fact: Some people who desolve adoptions do so for selfish reasons.
Fact: Many who disrupt adoptions do so because they are trying to keep other children safe or get the child in question much needed help.
Fact: Some people who adopt from disruptions are looking for a way to skirt the law.
Fact: Many who adopt from disruptions are loving parents who want to help children and complete the adoptions through legal channels.
Fact: Some people who adopt from disruptions are abusive.
Fact: Many people who adopt from disruptions are not abusive and are loving parents.
Just to be fair:
Fact: Some biological parents abuse their children.
Fact: Most biological parents love their children and do not abuse them.
We cannot judge an entire group of people by the actions of a few. In any group of people you will find those who are terrible, those who are saints and mostly those who are in between. This includes adoptive parents, bio parents, adoptees, religious people, atheists, black, white or purple. I hope that they also do a story to show the other side. People who persevere with troubled children, people who adopt legally from disruptions. But, sadly stories about good people don't sell like the stories about the bad people do.
Fact: Many people who adopt from