Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Thread: NBC - Rehoming
When I was waiting to be matched I was presented with the situation of a 4 1/2 month old baby placed at birth (domestic infant adoption). The adoption was finalized and then the adoptive parents became aware of some alcohol exposure (not full blown FAS but there were some effects of the alcohol exposure). They went through my local agency to relinquish their rights and choose adoptive parents- just as they would have if they were biological parents choosing adoption for their child. I was originally told I was the "first choice" but ultimately not chosen by these APs.
You better believe I had some judgements about them. I'm still not sure how they could do what they did- throw a baby away because it wasn't "perfect". Who does that??!!
I feel differently about families who find themselves in a situation with a child who is extreme RAD and violent. I can understand why some may feel they can't meet such a traumatized child's needs or feel that they can't allow other children in the home to be put at risk.
This wasn't the case with the potential match I was told about. I don't like to think of myself as judgmental but from the minute I heard about that situation I felt a TON of judgement.
Momraine put it so well. Most people are good and aren't out to hurt children (no matter what group they're in). However, every group has those who would give it a bad name. While any one who would harm a child should be exposed, some people will hear the bad stories (about any group) and generalize them to the entire group. I do wish more positive stories would be highlighted in the news. I'm not just talking about adoption, I'm talking about positive stories in general.