Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello every one, so grateful to have found this site being newer foster parents. We have 7 month old baby that we have had since birth, looks like it will go to severance and dad has just got family in California involved because he decided he is sick of CPS. It is very sad he sees baby as property but mom has more maternal side. He wants baby boy to move to California with his brother and sister in law
and mom wants boy to stay with us since we have been only family he has ever known, they are saying it could be 6 months or longer before they place baby boy with ICPC process. He could more than likely be a year or year 1/2 old by the time they move him to Ca. with "strangers" and disrupt all he has known. The other concerning thing is they believe dad about it all and put all blame on birth mom-we fear they will not encourage baby to have relationship with birth mom at all- its sad on many levels. We feel it is important to keep birth mom in contact with baby. We only want what is best for baby although we are not sure if that family in Ca. is in best interest. Do we have any rights at all here in Az if mom wants him with us and we have been only home he has had since birth? Thank you for your time, I was trying to be quick and so sorry if its disjointed, had to leave a lot out. Would be so grateful for any wisdom, advice on this. It seems Az is on bottom rung in regards to rights and legislature concerning foster parents. The system is baffling.
I'm just curious if anything has happened on this case since your post? I know it's months old. Is he still with you, or did they do the ICPC?
If this were more recent, I'd say talk to the GAL about your options. Or, even better, the foster care review board. I think around 12 months in care you can request a bonding assessment. Unfortunately, with most judges it just looks better on paper if they keep the child with relatives, no matter what is in the child's actual best interest.
It's such a tenuous thing, because you never want to seem like you're stonewalling the case, or not supporting the case plan, but at the same time we're supposed to fight for the best interests of the child. I hope everything has worked out for the best for your little one.
Advertisements