Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Please do not lie to her about the dog running away- or turn out the dog- or even return it to the pound. If you got it from an animal rescue/no kill foundation that is one thing- if you got it from a kill shelter- well, you are sending it back to its death.
I am a huge animal rights person and I hate it when animals have to be returned, but PP's are right- it has to be the right fit. Any dog can be trained but some take a lot more time and resources to do so. And there is a big difference between a service dog and a companion animal.
Dogs are a LOT of work. I also agree that it does not sound feasible for her to take one away to college. Is she going to live in a dorm? If so, I can't imagine that would be a good life for a dog. If she is in an apartment- a cat would be a much better fit, but again you should be 100% certain she can care for the animal before getting it for her. Animals can be amazing companions but they are usually a 13-15 year commitment AT LEAST and deserve to be in homes where they have the space they need and care they need (just like kids!).
To me, it seems like the best choice would be to re-home the dog with a friend or relative so that she can still visit him when she visits from college.
Will you continue to parent her after she leaves? I can't imagine someone with those issues living on their own at college with no family support. I barely made it without having mental issues! I feel bad for her and I hope that you are able to work this out so no one gets hurt.