Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Kat-L
That is amazing that you did that. I was at the movies once and the person in front of me had a golden retriever puppy who was being trained as a service dog. He couldn't have been more than 4 months old. He had a little bandana stating "Service dog in training". My daughter wanted so badly to pet him and play with him but I told her we couldn't interact with him. I was shocked at how well behaved the dog was. He sat down next to the owner. Took a nap for a while. Woke up and looked around. Never got up to walk away, no barking, nothing. So impressive. He'll make a great dog for someone some day.
I agree with other posters that OP's dog must go back. Picking up a dog from the pound is awesome but it has to be a good fit. It has to get along with family members and other pets. And you have to think about what training you are willing to commit to in order to have the dog you want.
If the dog is a good fit (with the exception of his hyper active behavior and fact that he isn't housebroken), you can pay for a trainer. It's expensive but worth it if you want to keep the dog.
Yep, we start at 7 weeks (and even before that they have tests) and work them on socialization, noises, etc. from day one. From 7 weeks to 18 months they are out shadows and once we turn them in they are ready to have their final training and go on to guide people. It's an amazing program and we were proud to raise three dogs (two passed) before becoming foster parents. One day we'll raise again. It's a lot of work!