Advertisements
Advertisements
I am currently Active Duty Military on Diplomatic assignment in Burkina Faso, West Africa. We live here are close to getting matched with a child. Since we live in country the child will be placed in our home while the adoption is finalized. It will be months before the adoption is final, but in the mean time we will have custody of the child. My question is does anybody have any experiance with a child being placed with the military family prior to finalization? This is important because the child has health issues and will need to be under the care of a doctor. Also we are coming home for home leave and while he is not on my orders, and I will most likely have to pay for his ticket out of pocket, I need to know if it's possible to get him enrolled in DEERS prior to the adoption being made final? Anybody with any experiance in something even remotely similar would be extremely helpful. Thank you in Advance. I have spoken to the legal office but hey can't do anything because I am not stationed at a base. I will be trying the family support center next. Thank You for any help you can give me.
-Isaak
We were able to enroll our daughter in DEERS as soon as she was placed with us. You do not have to wait for finalization. You just need to submit paperwork to DEERS that shows you have legal custody of her pending finalization. Hope that helps.
Advertisements
misstippy
We were able to enroll our daughter in DEERS as soon as she was placed with us. You do not have to wait for finalization. You just need to submit paperwork to DEERS that shows you have legal custody of her pending finalization. Hope that helps.
I agree with this completely. It's been many a year since we adopted our first two internationally-while we lived overseas; but I remember both babies were with us prior to the finalization. You should have no problem listing the child as 'yours' during that time and can seek/have medical priviledges.
I know then---at least back in those days, we couldn't take our baby out of the country until the finalization was complete. Things may have changed since then or you might be able to obtain some sort of specialized clearance, but back then, I know we couldn't have taken either of them out unless the adoption was finalized.
Good luck!
Sincerely,
Linny