Advertisements
Advertisements
My husband and I would like to adopt an AA or biracial baby girl. We are both Caucasian and we have two biological sons. I have been spending every waking moment researching adoption agencies and it's beginning to seem like the more I read, the more confused I become. I became very excited about one adoption agency until I learned that the cost of their services was going to be way out of our reach. We plan to fund this adoption by lots of fundraising...that's our only choice. We live in PA. Can someone with experience please PM with some advice on using an adoption agency vs. facilitators, attorneys, etc? Also, any recommendations of reputable agencies would be so helpful. I feel completely lost :(
Most states do not allow facilitators, although it seems that PA does. We've adopted using facilitators twice, and I don't recommend them. In general, they are not as useful or supportive as agencies. Once they have your money, they pretty much have no incentive to work for you anymore.
Because you're specifying gender, it's going to be harder to find an agency to work with you. I know, because we just did that. The first time we adopted, we didn't specify, and had our son. The second time, we specified that we wanted a girl.
We only worked with a facilitator the second time because so many agencies wouldn't allow gender specification, charged fees based on the race of the child, or discriminated against prospective adoptive parents on the basis of religion or sexual orientation. (We're heterosexual, but we wouldn't use an agency that discriminated.)
If you want the names of some of the professionals we used, good or bad, PM me. Also, you can look at my blog: [url=http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com/]The Chittister Family | Remember, as far as anyone knows, we're a nice, normal family[/url]
Advertisements