Advertisements
Advertisements
I unfortunately just found out that I have breast cancer. We are in the process of adopting our daughter and I am wondering if anyone knows if I need to disclose this to our AW. I just got my medical clearance a few weeks ago, but am unsure if I am required to give them an update if my health has changed. Has anyone experienced this before? If I don't tell them could it cause them to stop the adoption if they were to find out?
I am so sorry you are going through this. You have a support system I would be honest and let them know. I will keep you and your family in my prayers!!!!
Advertisements
I think it depends how close to adoption you are, how serious it is and what the treatment is. If they are just going to remove the lump, then I personally wouldn't tell them unless they asked. I actually had what was thought to be pretty serious cancer while we were in the 6 month waiting period to adopt. I had surgery, it was removed and it was gone in between adoption worker visits. I never told them and I don't regret it for a minute.
Advertisements
That's tough but here your required to tell. If they find out they could pull the kid because they would wonder what else your hiding.
I am so sorry to hear this news. I agree that you need to report this to worker. I doubt it will change the status. I hope it was caught early and you'll be better soon.
Here you would lose her for not telling. When we were taking our licensing class years ago, one of the foster parent speakers was a woman who was undergoing chemo for breast cancer AND they had a full house of bios and fosters AND were adopting one of their fosters. Good luck.
So sorry about your recent DX and pray for quick recovery.
I am also going though adoption portion. I recently had a DX of back issues- I need surgery that I am putting off till after adoption. It's not cancer but I did just disclose because I don't want anything to come back and bite me. Not after all we have gone through to get to this point.
Advertisements
So sorry ZMOM :(
In my area, yes, you would have to tell them within 10-14 days of finding out. My husband was diagnosed with cancer last year and we had to tell them right away. They still allowed us to foster (we decided to do respite only at that time) though. Then I had to tell them within 10 days when my husband passed away. They put me on hold for 6 months (standard) then asked how I felt after the 6 month mark.
I don't know if it's the same in your area, but that's how they do it here. Again, so sorry. I wish you well. You are in my thoughts.
I wanted to thank those who responded to me with words of encouragement and for all those who have said a quick prayer for me. We did speak with our adoption worker and my cancer will not stop us from adopting! The thought of losing my daughter was honestly more frightening to me than the cancer.
Our paperwork is completed and everything has been sent off for approval and the subsidy. We hope to finalize by the end of the year.
I will be having surgery next week, but the good news is that the cancer seemed to be in just the lymph node that became enlarged. Without that node warning me I would never have known- mammo in June was clear and MRI just two weeks ago showed nothing definitive. I am very fortunate to have found this before it was too late! Trust your intuition and listen to your bodies everyone, it can save your life!
Thanks again and any prayers sent my way will be reciprocated! God bless all of you :love:
So glad to hear that you will still be able to adopt and that your prognosis is good. Been thinking of you and wishing you well
Advertisements
I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis but I'm thrilled that you don't have to worry about losing your daughter and that the cancer doesn't seem to have spread. I have a good friend who just passed her 5 year mark (5 years with no sign of cancer- so it's considered 'cured') and another friend who just started radiation and is expected to recover if things keep going well. It's so scary.
I'm glad you got good news. I'll be thinking of you.
I unfortunately just found out that I have breast cancer. We are in the process of adopting our daughter and I am wondering if anyone knows if I need to disclose this to our AW. I just got my medical clearance a few weeks ago, but am unsure if I am required to give them an update if my health has changed. Has anyone experienced this before? If I don't tell them could it cause them to stop the adoption if they were to find out?
My sincerest condolences. Can you please update the outcome? thank you
Last update on October 21, 6:05 am by Dwain Holley.