Advertisements
Advertisements
I am a single male who has been considering adoption for several years. I moved to Florida a few years ago and have finally come to the decision to adopt. The only 'decision' I have made is that I don't think I can handle an Infant/Toddler so have opted to adopt from the county public system.
Part of me wants to look to adopt a sibling group as I know they tend to be hard to place and I have the love and income to support that. The other part of me says, you've never had kids what makes you think you can raise a group of kids.....
I have registered for the PRIDE classes in Metrowest, Orlando scheduled to start 1/15/2014.
The only experience I have with adoption is my best friends, adopted their wonderful now 8 year old daughter and took her home when she was but a few days old.
I guess my questions are for those who have gone before, what should I expect, what should I look out for and am I completely nuts?
I am a foster parent in Florida and was a foster parent in Orange county for a couple years. Devereux is an excellent agency in Orange county and we have had a largely positive experience fostering through them. They give lots of help and there are lots of resources available to you.
Personally, I think larger families are easier, but I am a SAHM and have a husband that takes care of my financial needs. If you are able and willing to deal with behavioral problems, by all means, foster older children. (2+) It's not fair to assume all older kids have behaviors, but 98percent of my older kids all did so I would go into placements expecting behaviors and being pleasantly surprised if behaviors don't show up.
Good luck!!!
Advertisements
I am a foster parent in Florida and was a foster parent in Orange county for a couple years. Devereux is an excellent agency in Orange county and we have had a largely positive experience fostering through them. They give lots of help and there are lots of resources available to you.
Personally, I think larger families are easier, but I am a SAHM and have a husband that takes care of my financial needs. If you are able and willing to deal with behavioral problems, by all means, foster older children. (2+) It's not fair to assume all older kids have behaviors, but 98percent of my older kids all did so I would go into placements expecting behaviors and being pleasantly surprised if behaviors don't show up.
Good luck!!!
I have been very frustrated of late, I moved to Poinciana which puts me in Osceola County. In early May I completed the PRIDE class :banana: and have yet to have contact with a social worker.
Call call call. The squeaky wheel gets oiled. This is pretty much what to expect in the world of foster care. A lot of wait and very little follow through.