Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello. We are likely being recommended as the permanent placement for a relative from out of state. I was told the other state (TX) will request ICPC from IN and that it can take several months. We have adopted three times, but all privately so this is all new territory for us. What all will have to happen here for the ICPC? I know they said a home inspection/study and background checks. Does anyone know if Indiana will require us to become fully licensed foster parents before ICPC approval? Thanks for any insights and answers!
I'm kind of late to the party on this one, and I haven't BTDT, but I do not believe that IN requires you to become fully licensed foster parents. However, you likely will have to have a home study approving you to adopt.
Advertisements
Thanks for the reply. We have a current private adoption homestudy and background checks. The TX social worker submitted that to ICPC in TX in December and said to call him back if I have not heard from him or someone else by January 20. Just wondering what to expect when I hear from them. I think the caseworker is hoping to move baby here and then let us pursue licensing while she lives here if that is required. Honestly I have no clue if that is even possible but it seemed to be what the caseworker on TX expected...
ICPC is required when adopting through the system across state lines.
its a contract between the states.. you state has to agree to "take on the burden" of the child. which is kinda random because the, at least in my case, i was seen as "fostering' for the sending state
short version (I documented this somewhere on this site)... sending state has a bunch of bureaucratic paperwork. its goes up their chain to the state level. the request a home visit (which is done by the receiving state). receiving state confirms you adhere to the sending state's criteria.
here's where it gets messy.. receiving state needs to do paperwork following the sending states process. they send it up from local to their state, then over to the sending state (high level).. then down to the sending office. anywhere along the line, someone can reject the paperwork and send it back
its bureaucracy at its worst.. its slow, nerve wracking at times, but you'll get through it. join the kinship subforum [url]http://forums.adoption.com/relative-adoption-support/[/url] there are many of us who have btdt
Thanks for the information. We have adopted 3 times private domestic adoption across state lines (in fact potential kinship situation is actually the bio sibling of two of our sons through adoption), so I understand ICPC in that situation but wasn't sure about the differences in foster situations. We've gotten sort of conflicting info where one person thinks we will need to do full licensing prior to placement while another thinks we won't need to do much at all because we have current background checks and private homestudy. I have no idea what to expect!
wcurry66
ICPC is required when adopting through the system across state lines.
its a contract between the states.. you state has to agree to "take on the burden" of the child. which is kinda random because the, at least in my case, i was seen as "fostering' for the sending state
short version (I documented this somewhere on this site)... sending state has a bunch of bureaucratic paperwork. its goes up their chain to the state level. the request a home visit (which is done by the receiving state). receiving state confirms you adhere to the sending state's criteria.
here's where it gets messy.. receiving state needs to do paperwork following the sending states process. they send it up from local to their state, then over to the sending state (high level).. then down to the sending office. anywhere along the line, someone can reject the paperwork and send it back
its bureaucracy at its worst.. its slow, nerve wracking at times, but you'll get through it. join the kinship subforum [url]http://forums.adoption.com/relative-adoption-support/[/url] there are many of us who have btdt