Advertisements
Advertisements
I have an unusual situation. I was dating a man that was separated and had a child. The biological mom left the child in Thailand with the grandparents. Eventually they got divorced and he got custody of the child. We moved her in with us when she was 4 years old. We never did marry. When she was 10 her dad died. Her mom agreed to let the child stay with me until after Christmas. Something happened and her mom asked if she could stay until the end of the school year.
She is now 14 and still with me. In my eyes she is my
daughter, but legally I know she is not. She introduces me as her step mom and her mom is very supportive of me raising her. She visits her mom 3 or 4 times a year. She talks to her frequently on the phone.
I want to adopt her so I can have a legal say over her. If, god forbid, something was to happen to her. I need to get her health insurance and such. I live in Az and do not know the laws or what to do. Can she have 2 legal moms? Any advice would be appreciated.
You may want guardianship. You'll probably need a lawyer. If you don't get many responses, I'd repost in the foster section. Someone will be able to give you good advice.
Advertisements
Hi there, I would encourage you to reach out to an Adoption Attorney licensed in Arizona. What state does your daughter's bio mom reside in? and have you discussed co-parenting (legally) with her?