Advertisements
Advertisements
[url=http://radaronline.com/2014/01/kym-whitley-adopted-son-joshua-young-mentor/]Kym Whitley Says Adopted Son Was ‘A Gift’ From Young Mentor: ‘This Was The Only Way She Could Repay Me’ | Radar Online[/url]
Kind regards
Dickons
The arrogance of this woman to think that her mentoring was so AMAZING that her protege got pregnant for her and suffered the loss of adoption just so she could be a mom.
I am sure she has no idea what she is saying, but that is part of her arrogance.
Advertisements
I read the article. She obviously didn't mentor the girl to get to adopt her baby. Kym apparently was called out of the blue because her former mentee had a baby and wanted Kym to adopt him...perhaps because she thought Kym would be a good mom (as she had been a good mentor). The mentee told Kym that she felt like it was "paying back" for what Kym had done for her...which may be why Kym said that. Probably not the best choice of words, but I can't say I'm worried about the kid since he looks to be thriving. It would be like me saying I was worried about kids whose parents paid tons of expenses because those kids may believe that they were "bought"....(I don't believe that by the way, but some adoptees do). Let's hope she's as good a mom as she appears to be and he continues to thrive. They are really a cute family.
Well, since he was apparently seen as gift for services rendered, he at least shouldn't have to grow up feeling gratitude.
He was bestowed up her.
Loveajax, if she was such a good mentor I would have hoped that she would have "mentored" her to get counselling first by unbiased counsellor. A call out of the blue should have sent alarm bells ringing to a mentor that thoughtful discussions should take place first...
A toddler that appears to be thriving, yet doesn't have the cognitive ability to fully understand what adoption means - is not indicative of how he will process, or feel about, being adopted and his particular story - over the course of his life.
L4R - you have the ability to get right to the heart of it.
Kind regards,
Dickons
Dickons, I think you are assuming a lot based on this "snippet" from an online entertainment piece. How do you know what counseling bmom received or didn't or what her motivations were? In any event, she DID place him with Kym and I personally see a beautiful, happy family (and yes, he is 2...who knows how everything will play out...).
Advertisements
loveajax,
As you state, it is a snippet. I don't see anything in the article that would indicate that Kym won't be a good mother to this boy. But, since it is a snippet, how can you see a "beautiful, happy family"?
As adoptees, I don't think we are questioning Kym's ability to be a mother. We just don't like her flippant, cavalier language, which makes us sound like commodities, not people.
I googled more and saw more. Plus, I think pictures are worth 1000 words. I doubt you could raise and love a child and see them as a "commodity." Her words are unfortunate but seem to be based on what bmom expressed to her.
My problem is putting this thought out there publicly where he will surely be able to find it one day. I would expect it to be very hurtful to him at that point.
My concern is the apparent lack of understanding of how he might react to this set of events, and how publicly she is discussing them.
I agree with that, Dmariehill. I also personally cringe at "identifiable" bloggers that are amoms and bmoms that talk about their kids. Such little consideration given to their kids, imo.
PS: I should add that pretty much all "blogs" that identify kids (adoption are not) seem weird to me. I would have HATED my mom to blog about me...haha!
Advertisements
Some of the prettiest, happiest looking families are the most dysfunctional.
I don't care how lovely she looks and I don't care if the mother did say that, she callously put that out there for the world to read. Pretty dysfunctional to me.
Wow, I've mentored teenaged girls and young women for many years. I would be horrified if any of them decided to have a baby for me as some sort of gift to pay me back. Instead of taking the baby, I would immediately be making an appointment for them with a qualified psychotherapist. There just *has* to be more to this story... :arrow:
This doesn't bother me so much. I heard an extended version of the story that made a lot more sense than the short version. As an adoptee, one quote and the sources trying to sensationalize it just doesn't trouble me. Anyway, I worry more about the kid growing up on reality TV and the fact that Kym is apparently unable to speak in a normal tone of voice...
RavenSong
Wow, I've mentored teenaged girls and young women for many years. I would be horrified if any of them decided to have a baby for me as some sort of gift to pay me back.
That would certainly freak me out. I don't think I'd be very proud of my mentoring either! I can't imagine saying proudly, that my mentee got pregnant and abandoned her baby, only to give the baby to me to thank me for my help.
How disturbing.
I do hope there is MUCH more to the story.
Advertisements
It could be a bad choice of words but for someone to call you out of the blue ought to make the bells go off. and putting it on the internet; he will see it and read it. Kym won't know how he feels.
This is really disturbing to me, too.
I doubt I'd like finding out that I was the "firstborn" that someone felt they "owed."
Ok, so we don't know if the child is literally firstborn, but I can't help but think of that expression here.