Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello. I'm 16 an recently found out that I'm pregnant. I'll be 17 next month. I about about 14 weeks pregnant now. I didn't think I was this far along, so that was a bit of a shock at the first appointment.
At first, I was strongly considering abortion and that's what I really wanted to do. I just didn't want everyone to find out that I was pregnant. I have since decided that abortion isn't right for me, but I'm still not sure if I will keep the baby or choose adoption. I don't know anyone who has been adopted or given a baby up for adoption, so I'm just trying to find people to talk to.
There are some birth mothers and adoptees here, who I hope will speak with you. The perspective I can give you is the longterm view of a teen pregnancy where the child was parented. When my husband was 17 and just barely beginning his senior year of high school, his girlfriend became pregnant. They also briefly considered abortion, but could not go through with it. Adoption was mentioned as a possibility, but ultimately they decided to parent.
There was a lot of anger and tears with the family. Disappointed parents and grandparents, severely conflicting family character and styles, and an immature teen relationship at the center of it all. It was probably a year of solid conflict through the pregnancy, birth and early infancy. He married her the day after he turned 18 and could do so without his parent's permission. She left him for another guy within months and the they filed for divorce while their baby son was just a few months old.
Then the custody fight began. It was ugly. The families hated each other. In the end, the judge awarded sole custody to the father.
The early years were no picnic. He had dropped out of high school mid-year because he didn't feel it was fair for him to keep going, when she couldn't. He finished his classes at a community college and attended his high school graduation as a spectator. He went to work full time loading trucks in a warehouse. He had to wait two years before he could start college, after all the conflict calmed down and there was a stable family situation for him and the child. As a college student, he did not have free weekends for hanging out and partying with friends- he was a father with a toddler son at home who had to be first priority. He was able to graduate from college with the steadfast support of his family watching his son while he was at school. There was no support or help from the child's mother.
Soon, he was in his mid-twenties and his son was in school. He was a grown man and while the transition from his parents acting as secondary parents to backing off as more typical grandparents was difficult and messy at times, it did happen and by this point, his life with his son was as normal as any other kid in school, with the only difference being that he was younger than most of the other parents.
I married the dad and adopted the son when he was 9. We've been in the process of living happily ever after ever since. And by that, I mean going through the day-to-day hard work of parenting a growing boy/young man. We never had a honeymoon period as a couple, because we were already parents and the child had to come first, period. Always. We'll have our first days of living together as a couple without kids in our 50s. It's been really hard work. And a labor of love. And so very very worth it.
Now, the baby is a grown man in his mid-twenties. He's already highly successful with an exciting career, financial independence and a bright future.
Neither parenting or placing are easy options. Parenting a child from a teen pregnancy took many years of conflict and sacrifice, and was made possible by the unwavering support and help of the rest of the family through those first years. The end result was happy beyond words for us. The teen pregnancy is not something my husband is proud of. He still carries shame and guilt from it, and was deeply scarred by the wounds of those first years. That's taken some therapy to work through. But he is very, very proud of his son and the man he's become. And never regretted his decision.
That's our story of teen pregnancy.
Advertisements