Advertisements
Advertisements
I am interested in possibly adopting a sibling set of 2 children. I was hoping for one to be 2 or 3 (or possibly younger) and the other to be an infant. That way they would be very close in age to our two children now. I believe that would help with the bonding process and would allow the children to grow up as friends.
What I want to know is are their sibling sets like this (2-3 year old and infant) available internationally or is this really not a possibility for our family? Also, I am very much open to (and would almost prefer) one (or maybe both) of the children being adopted to have some kind of special needs such as cleft lip, cleft palate, club hand/foot, etc. because I know that not only is it hard for sibling sets to be adopted, but children with physical needs also have a hard time and I feel like we could make a huge difference for a set of siblings.
Is there any possibility of finding a sibling set such as this? Is this way too specific for our desires?
The only Country that I can think of that would allow what you are seeking or hoping, for International Adoptions is Colombia in Central America!!
Colombia currently has a Moratorium for under 7 years old and is closed.
Possibly Africa?? I have never explored African Adoption though??
International Adoption is either very closed, or at a 'Stand Still' or ' Backlog ' regarding Adoptions.
Alot has changed in International Adoption since the early 2000s!!
Have you contacted any Placement Adoption Agencies yet also??
Advertisements
In most countries, sibling groups are sometimes available. Do be aware, however, that they are rarely available unless they are categorized as hard to place.
The number of requests for reasonably healthy infant or toddler/preschooler twins, from any country, is so great that it far outstrips the number of sets of twins available. And the number of requests for an infant and a toddler, both with no special needs or very manageable special needs, is also very great -- way greater than the number of available children.
You "might" be able to adopt two young children from certain African or island countries, but it is getting less and less likely, and you have to be very careful to avoid unscrupulous baby brokers and scammers who tell you that they can help you
Your best bet might be the Marshall Islands, if you choose a very reputable agency, though most of the available children are available singly. Be aware that most of the adoptions from the Marshall Islands are somewhat "open". You generally get to meet the birthmothers when you travel to complete the adoption, and ongoing contact is sometimes maintained. This is unusual in international adoption.
Given recent changes in several African countries, I'd suggest as you do some research to see the current situation in places like Uganda, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, and South Africa. In the past, adoption of young children without serious special needs, individually or in sibling groups, was doable, but some of the countries are revising their systems to prevent corruption, and some reputable agencies are working mainly with children who are older or who have special needs such as HIV positive status, deafness, etc.
In general, and all over the world, the sibling groups that most need homes are those featuring three or more children, or those involving at least one school-aged child (six or older), or those involving at least one child with a significant special need. School aged boys are considered harder to place than school aged girls, and especially if they are at least 10 years old. Because adopting out of birth order can raise some significant issues, it may not be a good idea for you to adopt older children, and adopting more than two children, given that you have two little children already, might be too difficult for you.
I do hope that you are able to find a child or two that will complete your family beautifully. But it won't be easy, and you may have to adjust your expectations or wait till your bios are a little older and you can adopt slightly older children.
Sharon