Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello, my wife and i are trying to adopt our little niece. She was removed from her parents at birth due to health issues caused by drugs. since then the parents haven't been able to prove their soberness or ability to take care of the little girl. We were contacted by DHR and asked if we would be interested in taking the little girl. of course we said yes. we both (me and my wife) felt we would be the best option f the little girl. we feel that the other possible family member that possibly could get her would not be able to provide her with everything she would need, not just material wise. we just feel that we would be able to give her more love and care than anyone else. My main question is what does Alabama DHR look for in a home check? we were unexpectedly called and asked if they could do a home check Tuesday so naturally my wife and i are nervous. We have a little boy that will turn two in September and we have a sand box for him out front. there is no fence around it. someone told my wife we had to have a fence is this true? im also a mechanic and collision tech and do some side work at home. i have a truck that i am putting a front end on out back will they look at this negatively? i know there may seem to be risk without a fence and with there being a half assembled truck around back but i do not ever take my child outside unattended. i am always there and most the time we are playing together (sandbox, pushing him on his power wheel etc) like i said we are just nervous and i would like to get some input from someone who has actually been threw it. it seems like everyone around here has a different story...
thanks in advance!
-Josh B.
I am not familiar with your state's specific requirements, but I don't know any that require a family's home to have a fenced yard; after all, many people who live in apartment buildings adopt, and they don't have fenced yards. A fence normally IS required around an in-ground or above-ground pool or other body of water, such as a drainage ditch or pond, because of the ease with which a child can escape from a home, go into the water, and drown. Kids can drown in even a couple inches of water.
Sharon
Advertisements
winky11
there is no fence around it. someone told my wife we had to have a fence is this true?
We live in Alabama, although we are not going through DHR. I can tell you that our social worker made a comment that normally they required fenced-in back yards but because of the area, they weren't going to require that of us (we're out in the country). They did mention though that the one no-no for them was a pool. Luckily for us, we'd had the pool removed when we bought the house.
Good luck!!!!!!!