Advertisements
Advertisements
My son is going to be 18 in about 6 months. He has multiple mental health diagnoses, Bipolar being one of them. I am not sure if he will be able to hold down a job due to the many issues he has. I plan to apply for SSI for him when He is 18 so he will have access to medical care. What I am wondering is will I need to go to a lawyer to draw up POA papers? I am not sure that my son is capable of making appropriate decisions for himself medically and I could see him refusing medical care during a manic episode. He gets frequently gets violent so there may be times when he requires hospitalization for the safety of himself and others.
Anyone have any insight on this?
Check with an attorney in your state but my son's Power of Attorney allows me to act on his behalf in medical, legal, educational, and financial matters.
It does NOT allow me to do something he doesn't want. In our state, that would involve legal guardianship.
Just some things to think about. You are welcome to PM me if there is something I can do to help.
Advertisements
Check with an attorney in your state but my son's Power of Attorney allows me to act on his behalf in medical, legal, educational, and financial matters.
It does NOT allow me to do something he doesn't want. In our state, that would involve legal guardianship.
Just some things to think about. You are welcome to PM me if there is something I can do to help.