Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi everyone! I haven't been on this site in ages. I've had my dear GS since November 2008 and still waiting for an end to this mess. We had another shot at termination, but the judge wouldn't go for it yet again.
GS just had to go to the child psych unit in May for extreme aggression at school and I've been so worried for him. He has ADHD, RAD, now is ODD as well.
So I got a letter in the mail a couple days ago that our state DCFS put together after their Action Plan meeting that resulted from his hospitalization. They have the gall to request a parenting capacity evaluation for me and DH after we've cared for this boy since birth!
Up until this point we have had nothing but positive interaction with our caseworker and everyone involved in his care including therapists, psychiatrists and doctors. We've been told that we are doing a fabulous job. Now this.
We took all the training even though we're relatives, and I've done all the required yearly education, and then some. Every time I have a concern, I'm online looking up ways to handle things like reactive attachment and oppositional defiance. I always strive to educate myself and read parenting articles every chance I get. I read books written by experts in the fields where he has issues and thought I was very informed and trying to be the best parent I can.
I'm about to throw in the towel. Anyone else ever had something like this happen? I have heard horror stories about foster parents being investigated and heard "document, document, document" so much it's a mantra. Looks like my turn is coming.
Do you know what the basis for the parenting capacity study is? Generally, that is a court-ordered study and not one that the CW can request.
Advertisements
We are licensed through a private agency, but when a foster child is sent to a psychiatric facility the state has a "clinical" meeting to brainstorm ways to keep the child from a return trip. The request was from the state DCFS clinical team. I am sure it was not court ordered.