Advertisements
Advertisements
Does anyone here foster children while you have your own kids at home? Has it been a challenge? Have your children been badly influences or affected? Just wondering because I have two little ones...
I foster in NJ and when we started our two boys were 18 months and 3. They are now 6 and 4 and I don't think they have been negatively or badly influenced at all. We've fostered various ages from babies to teens (we even adopted a teen girl). Our 6 year old is so empathetic to all the kids and their situations and has gotten along with all of them very well. We had 2 sisters for almost a year (ages 1 & 8) and when they left he said "I am sad they are leaving but I am happy they get to go home to their mommy."
Our 4 year old hasn't known anything else. He LOVES the babies we get and he usually get along with older kids too (he is a stubborn little guy) but we haven't had any issues.
I also realize we may be extra lucky b/c we haven't had any truly difficult or dangerous kids. But we are very picky about the kids we take and our offices know we have younger kids in the house.
Advertisements