Advertisements
Advertisements
I have a possible phone number for my biological mother. Has anyone ever made a phone call to find out if the number belongs to someone you were searching for? I'm not sure how it would happen... The idea makes me nervous.
"Hi, is this ______?"
"Yes..."
"My name is _____. I'm the baby you put up for adoption in 1990." ...THEN WHAT?
I just can't imagine making this kind of phone call. It might be a shock to her to get a phone call like that. Has anyone done this? Any thoughts, suggestions, things to consider, or experiences to share? Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
I personally used facebook (the messager and pay that dollar to get it to their normal inbox not their "Other" inbox) Writing the first message to my sister, who was adopted by a different family than I, was nerve wracking enough, I can't imagine a cold call when you're not entirely sure you have the right person.
If at all possible try to find another way, set a time limit on yourself for finding that other way, but it seems to me that it would be far easier to come across as a sane rational human being in a typed document (email, messenger, or snail mail) than over the phone the first time. I recommend the time limit so that you don't get hung up overmuch, took me years to get to it anyways, dithering over methods is just another way I procrastinated personally.
But if you first search for other method of contact and fail, then go for it. I would recommend writing out what you want to say on paper and have someone you trust help you refine it. make a list of topics you want to cover if it's the right person, in fact hold back the day of birth and only give month/year and see if they fill in the day or something like that to help you verify. I would suggest you read more of these forums on how other people searched for information and look at some youtube videos on searching for people (some have good info, most are bad) in order to find another method of contact. just my two cents but good luck and please update us here on how it goes.
Advertisements
I wrote a letter. I could not have handled a phone call. I think I'd have given myself a heart attack before I'd finished your script. But I HATE talking on the phone.
I'd agree -- look for another outlet first, and see if you can find one. If not? You've come this far. Her response would be a big driver of the rest of that conversation.