Advertisements
Advertisements
I was wondering how people felt about adult adoption of someone who cannot be adopted in the UK because of their age. I have suffered severe psychological abuse my whole life and have only realised what was happening too late. My father is a Narcissist and is trying to destroy me: making me look like Im crazy and my mother lets it happen. I have never had even an ounce of parenting from eitheer of them..and I thought this was normal.
JUst wanted to know if people thought this was possible or just a waste of time. The Uk situation is inadequate.
Unfortunately, adoption must be accomplished under the laws of the adopted person's country of citizenship. If you are a U.K. citizen, if an overseas family wanted to adopt you, the adoption would have to occur under U.K. adoption laws, and you would also have to be approved by the country of citizenship of the adoptive family, so that you could immigrate and become a citizen or permanent resident of that country. The U.K. has also ratified the Hague Convention on international adoption, so your adoption would also have to satisfy Hague requirements.
Based on what you have said, if the U.K. does not recognize adult adoption, you will not be able to be adopted by an overseas family. My suggestion to you is that you distance yourself from your parents by moving within the U.K. and getting a job so that you do not have to rely on them. Once you are settled in as an independent person, I would then recommend that you sign up for some therapy. Victims of abuse often need assistance in getting on with their lives and coming to grips with what has happened.
Sharon
Advertisements