Advertisements
Advertisements
My sister is pregnant and is planning on giving the baby up for adoption. While I am happy she did not have an abortion I am very distressed. I cannot have children, but she is very admit about me not adopting the baby. Her boyfriend has two children with his ex-wife and he does not see them at all and does nothing for them. He has told my sister he does not want kids nor does he want to marry her. Are there any rights I would have as a family member to adopt the baby or make it possible to be a part of the baby's life. This is killing me and she is being very selfish.
Mercede79
My sister is pregnant and is planning on giving the baby up for adoption. While I am happy she did not have an abortion I am very distressed. I cannot have children, but she is very admit about me not adopting the baby. Her boyfriend has two children with his ex-wife and he does not see them at all and does nothing for them. He has told my sister he does not want kids nor does he want to marry her. Are there any rights I would have as a family member to adopt the baby or make it possible to be a part of the baby's life. This is killing me and she is being very selfish.
No you don't have any rights, unless she looses her child to foster care. Even then the parents can so no, the judge might take that in to consideration. The adopted parents might let you see the baby. But only if the babies birth mom says it's okay. I'm not seeing how she's being selfish, because she doesn't want you to raise her child. Its very hard to give your child to a relative and have them raise them. Some woman cant handle that. I hope she keeps the baby and get away from this loser.
Advertisements
When I was waiting to adopt my son, I remember feeling so angry at people who were making crappy parenting choices, or who didn't really want their kids, but were parenting them anyway. I can imagine how this situation must feel similar. I know what that hole of wanting but not having children feels like.
To answer your question, no, you do not have a right to this child. Your sister has the right to choose who she wants to adopt her child, if that is what she ultimately chooses to do. She and the adoptive parents may or may not choose to have an open adoption, and you may or may not be included in that if they do. Your chances of being included are far better if you are supportive of your sister than if you try to block the adoption.
I get how hard this is, but the biggest thing I needed to learn when I was childless was that what other people did as parents was not about me. No one was depriving me of a child by their choices, and parenting is a privilege, not a right. Relative adoption can have all sorts of complications that your sister may not be up for. She would have to see her child grow up with you, and she would not have you for support in dealing with her feelings, because there would be the added relationship of you being her daughter's mom. Alternatively, as much as you may not want to hear it, she may not want you to parent her child. I love my brother dearly, and he is a good dad. I named my best friend as my child's guardian in my will, because her parenting style/ philosophy is more like mine, and that is what I want for my son. My mother was extremely upset about that, but it is my son, not my family, whose needs I have to focus on. Your sister's job right now is to focus on her needs and her child's needs, not yours. Her not choosing you to parent her child does not mean that she does not care about you or that she is being selfish. If you can, being a support to your sister may be what she needs right now. If you are not able to do that emotionally (no judgements, here on that, I distanced myself from some people at one time), then try to give her and yourself some space. Also, make sure you find some ways to take care of yourself emotionally. If you are really interested on adopting, this may be a good time to start researching the process, so that you have something to focus on in your journey of becoming a parent. I'm sorry this is so hard; there really are no easy or comfortable situations in adoption, but your situation sounds like it will bring an even more than usual share of pain.
When I was waiting to adopt my son, I remember feeling so angry at people who were making crappy parenting choices, or who didn't really want their kids, but were parenting them anyway. I can imagine how this situation must feel similar. I know what that hole of wanting but not having children feels like.
To answer your question, no, you do not have a right to this child. Your sister has the right to choose who she wants to adopt her child, if that is what she ultimately chooses to do. She and the adoptive parents may or may not choose to have an open adoption, and you may or may not be included in that if they do. Your chances of being included are far better if you are supportive of your sister than if you try to block the adoption.
I get how hard this is, but the biggest thing I needed to learn when I was childless was that what other people did as parents was not about me. No one was depriving me of a child by their choices, and parenting is a privilege, not a right. Relative adoption can have all sorts of complications that your sister may not be up for. She would have to see her child grow up with you, and she would not have you for support in dealing with her feelings, because there would be the added relationship of you being her daughter's mom. Alternatively, as much as you may not want to hear it, she may not want you to parent her child. I love my brother dearly, and he is a good dad. I named my best friend as my child's guardian in my will, because her parenting style/ philosophy is more like mine, and that is what I want for my son. My mother was extremely upset about that, but it is my son, not my family, whose needs I have to focus on. Your sister's job right now is to focus on her needs and her child's needs, not yours. Her not choosing you to parent her child does not mean that she does not care about you or that she is being selfish. If you can, being a support to your sister may be what she needs right now. If you are not able to do that emotionally (no judgements, here on that, I distanced myself from some people at one time), then try to give her and yourself some space. Also, make sure you find some ways to take care of yourself emotionally. If you are really interested on adopting, this may be a good time to start researching the process, so that you have something to focus on in your journey of becoming a parent. I'm sorry this is so hard; there really are no easy or comfortable situations in adoption, but your situation sounds like it will bring an even more than usual share of pain.
I'm really sorry that you are going through this, I know it is hard to watch others have children when you can't.
Simply put though, no, you have no rights to this child. Your sister is the mother and gets to make all of the decisions.
Having placed a child for adoption, and knowing that my ex boyfriend's brother was VERY mad at us for not thinking of them, I still wouldn't do it that way. First of all, I don't think he is appropriate. Secondly, why should my ex's family have gotten my son when my ex is part of the reason I didn't parent? Thirdly, I didn't want to be excluded from his life completely if things went wrong between us, which it did after Kiddo was born.
The dynamic of your relationship with your sister would change in ways that are monumental and quite possibly not in good ways.
I wish you luck on this journey. Please try not to hold this against your sister. Be supportive if you can or just remove yourself from the situation for the time being if you can't.