Advertisements
Advertisements
So we have a 13 yo we are soon adopting. She has been with us a little over a year. She acts about 10 yo. She has trouble making REAL friends her age. Girls may be nice to her but I mean having friends to do things with. She has been in counseling and is currently attending a summer partial hospitalization which works on these issues. I have seen some improvement in the past year but do kids ever catch up to their age?
My nephew has ADHD and learning disabilities. He was homeschooled for two and half years to catch up academically, but fell very far behind socially. After he went back to public school, he caught up his age group within about eight months. Now he is one of the most popular boys in his grade, so it is possible for kids to catch up. Maybe you could have her ask an acquaintance over or to meet up for an activity like a movie or pizza so that she can spend some more time with kids her age. Or if you have a friend with a daughter around her age, arrange a get together with just the 4 of you. She should start to mimic the other kids and learn how to act, it might just take some time and encouragement. Hope this helps.
Advertisements