Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello, I was adopted from Russia in 2003, I am now 19. I came into the US on an IR-3 visa and got sent a permanent resident card because they weren't sending out COC back then yet. As I I understand the IR-3 visa means I got automatic citizenship. My parents took no further steps to show my citizenship but to get me a social security #. About 6 years ago they finally got me a passport so we could go on a cruise.. I unfortunately lost my passport about a year ago, it was expired. I would now like to get a new passport to give myself some peace of mind about my citizenship. The only problem is that my permanent resident card expired a year ago, and my Russian passport with the IR-3 stamp is also expired. What can I bring to show my citizenship? I have my Russian birth certificate with my US parents names on it, and I have the adoption decree, my social security card, drivers license, military dependent ID, high school diploma, and college transcripts. Any help would be fantastic! Thank you so much!
I don't know the answer to your question but I would advise you to find a reputable immigration attorney who can assist you. I know you are probably worried about the cost, but if your parents didn't complete the process properly, your citizenship could be in jeopardy. You need to confirm your status and an attorney experienced in immigration law can help with that.
Advertisements
If you came in on an IR-3 in 2003 you are deemed to be a US citizen. Other visas are the ones in jeopardy if the parents did not complete the citizenship papers. Are you sure it was an IR-3 not an IR-4 ? because they shouldn't have issued a permanent resident card for an IR-3 to my knowledge, that is what would have been issued for an IR-4...and if that is the case you need a good immigration lawyer because you are nineteen.
This should explain more about who is at risk and who isn't.
[url]https://www.adoptioncouncil.org/publications/adoption-advocate-no-33.html[/url]
There is a forum member SAK9645 (I think is her name) - I will private message her to come to this thread. She knows far more and can probably point you in the right direction. It may be as simple as applying for the COC...
Kind regards,
Dickons
I am positive it was an IR-3 visa, my green card says IR-3. They didn't start issuing everyone COC until 2004, I came to the US right before the switch.
Well then you should be okay if your green card says IR-3 because the law was passed in 2000 (?) that sorted it all out - so it should be just a matter of paperwork because you came through on a visa that gave you automatic citizenship.
Sak stops in here most days, and will be able to give you directions on where (what department etc) to go to get your COC. She's great, I sent her a pm with a link to this thread.
Kind regards,
Dickons
In case anyone is interested (now or in the future) and doesn't see the other post in the AP forum by Sarah, you can read SAK's advice in the link below.
[url]http://forums.adoption.com/general-adoptive-parent-support/428413-i-dont-know-what-do.html[/url]
Kind regards,
Dickons
Advertisements