Advertisements
Advertisements
I have family in another state that has had their baby removed. They are asking us to take the baby.
I'm kind of....:confused: We are current foster parents and have adopted from the foster care system. Just never taken children from a family member or from out of state.
If someone can answer a few questions I would appreciate it.
How long does an ICPC take should we throw our names in the hat?
What states foster care stipend rate is paid? I hate to make it seem like it's about the money, but I cannot afford another child right now without it.
Can my current home study be used or are we going to have to do another?
How long does it typically take?
How does the child get from one state to the next? It's well over 1,000 miles from here.
We are trying to figure out if we can help, and any answers will be tremendously appreciated.
I don't think they'd move the baby to you unless it was going to TPR. Is that the case? How long has the baby been in care? Some states don't have subsidies at all if the child doesn't have special needs. Our AD only qualified for Medicaid because if that and if she had went to a relative in another state, they wouldn't have received anything either. Just the basic level here after adoption for some sort of special need is only around $250 a month, I believe. You will definitely need to figure out the specifics of that state. I would count on adopting if they're moving the baby to you unless you take guardianship, but I know my area doesn't like to do that of they're able to TPR on both parents. But if parents are just wanting you to take custody, I would guess guardianship is what would happen with a transfer of custody and I think that generally gives little to no money.
As for how long ICPC takes, they try to speed it up for babies, but generally 3-6 months if no major hiccups. Your home study should be fine. Generally they like you to make an effort to go out and visit the baby during the process to show you're serious, but I have heard of CWs flying with babies to their destination.
Advertisements
I don't have a lot of experience with ICPC but my current foster child had a relative out of state try to get custody. It works like any other relative as far as I can tell. The only difference is that your home state does the home study and if you already have one, it should be easier.
The sending state(the baby's) sends paperwork to the receiving state (yours). Receiving state does the home study and sends the approval, or not, back to the sending state. The caseworker then goes to court to get permission to transfer custody, at least here.
In our case, the GAL also visited the out of state home to make sure he felt good about recommending it in court.
The only thing I would be concerned about is if the parents are out of state, they can't visit or work their service plan. But if the parents are wanting you to have the child, that could definitely change things.
Edited to add: I think that you would get a board payment while the child is still under the supervision of the state, which is six months I think. Then there would be a review and the child would be permanently placed. After that, I'm not sure?
Good luck with your decision!
We are current foster parents This should help speed things along!
How long does an ICPC take should we throw our names in the hat? Yes throw your hat in immediately. Are they still trying to RU? In most cases, they don't move the baby out of state without TPR. THEN depending on your state you may, or may not be considered a relative. That being said, since you are already a foster parent, that isn't as big of an issue. Post TPR, under 6mos-ish since you have all the home studies and everything already done. Are you already an approved adoptive home?
What states foster care stipend rate is paid? Yes usually the stipend is the same as the home state's. It can vary. Since our state WANTS relative placement, even if there aren't special needs, they may do the stipend to make a relative placement happen.
Can my current home study be used or are we going to have to do another? As long as you are an approved adoptive home as well, you shouldnt have to have another home study.
How long does it typically take? Varies. Depends if you have to wait for TPR or not.
How does the child get from one state to the next? They can transport if needs be. I would try to have some sort of visitation if you can.
Answers in Red.
Moja
I have family in another state that has had their baby removed. They are asking us to take the baby.
I'm kind of....:confused: We are current foster parents and have adopted from the foster care system. Just never taken children from a family member or from out of state.
If someone can answer a few questions I would appreciate it.
How long does an ICPC take should we throw our names in the hat? There is expediated ICCP for children under 2. But it is still not fast. I wouldn't expect less than 6 months until you are told otherwise
What states foster care stipend rate is paid? I hate to make it seem like it's about the money, but I cannot afford another child right now without it. The sending state rate is paid
Can my current home study be used or are we going to have to do another? You current homestudy should generally be OK but there might be a couple of things you need to do that the sending state requires for licensing that your state did not. FOr instance PS Mapp Classes, blood work, FBI prints, doctors visits for all in the house. But as a general rule, your current homestudy should be fine.
How long does it typically take? for a baby? 6 months is probably average. Our last foster baby got ICPC cleanance and moved states in a couple of weeks, but they were close states that often switch kids and everyone was in support of the move
How does the child get from one state to the next? It's well over 1,000 miles from here. Unless an agreement is reached to the contrary, the sending state brings them to you
We are trying to figure out if we can help, and any answers will be tremendously appreciated.
Good day all
I have a ICPC from the state of Florida to state of Montana I am already today setting at 137 days that Montana has had it on their desk and did nothing but drag their feet are you going to ask the lady when she came out to the house and did the first home study she said well it's going to take some time and then she shook her head like there was no time frame whatsoever about this I am constantly reminding them of the amount of time I send an email and I screenshot it this is ridiculous pretty soon it's going to be 5 months and they haven't give me a decision one way or the other you reach out to The regulators of the ICPC and nobody wants to help they're supposed to be a place that you contact you contact him and they do nothing they don't even contact you back I am going to put something in place to change this as soon as this goes through trust me I'm done with this BS good luck anybody that is trying to do a ICPC don't be in a hurry they're not in a hurry at all they could care less what kind of condition these children are being placed in why you are waiting patiently they don't care
Advertisements