Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello again, Adoption Forums. It's been quite some time since the last thing I posted here, so I guess I'll drop some backstory, ( I went through my own post history, and found it wasn't all that detailed.. ) Apologies in advanced for how long this might turn out.
In 2009 I gave up a daughter to adoption, my first and only child to this day. I was in a stable relationship, but my living situation was a disaster, I lived in a small town and had a lot of trouble finding steady work ( mostly I worked for friends/friends of family ), and my boyfriend of the time worked a minimum-wage job part time. We were $3k behind in rent, ( No I know, right? ) with a car that needed constant repairs ( Thanks, Ford, ) and absolutely no room in our tiny house ( I think they're called shot-gun houses? A tiny bed-room sized living room, an even smaller bedroom, a kitchen and bathroom. ) In other words, we couldn't even afford ourselves and our tiny dog, much less an infant.
It should be noted that I had a powerful strong support system -- my family, specifically my mother and grandmother. At the time, I lived in the same town as my grandparents, since my parents were over-seas ( military, ) but my mother came rushing the moment she heard, so she could be with me. Before she even arrived, I had decided on Adoption.
They were upset, of course, so much so that my mother immediately wanted to adopt the baby, herself ( but my stepfather wouldn't hear of it-- he dislikes children altogether. ) Even my grandmother considered it, but she knew it wasn't a possibility, not really.
The Adoptive Family was great from the start, giving me all the space I wanted, even offering to stay at their hotel during the birth if I didn't want them present ( but I DID invite them, at least up until my pain was severe, where they politely excused themselves, giving me hugs and wishing me an easy delivery -- which I would not, in the end, get. ) They remained phenomenal, even up to the actually paper-signing always made sure I was aware that it was solely my decision, and that I could change my mind without garnering their ire ( of course, I knew that inside they were probably praying up a storm that I WOULDN'T change my mind, but I have always appreciated the way they treated my side of the events. ) We settled very easily on an Open Adoption.
At first, the aftermath was fairly easy for me to deal with. Despite the wonderful advice I got here and elsewhere, I did NOT attend counseling, as I should have. I thought I had gotten out of the situation relatively unscathed--I felt GOOD about it, in fact. They sent pictures, beautiful Easter cards with family portraits, Christmas cards--they are on my facebook, they post videos to me and my family of her, picture albums. I mean, it really seemed like I'd gotten the best outcome imaginable considering the situation, ( I even posted a very VERY optimistic post, here, about how good my situation was -- in retrospect, I think it really flew in the face of those here who were much wiser about it than I was. )
It's about to be Five Years, now, and the general attitude I have has changed dramatically. I mentioned in that silly post I made that the Adoption had destroyed my relationship, and it did, in dramatic fashion. But more than that, it destroyed things under the surface that I hadn't had the ability to see at the time. I was shaken to my core, and as that started seeping up to the surface, I flew--no seriously, I left all I knew, flew 2000 miles away to a place I'd never been, to live with people I'd never met.
I am engaged now to someone who supports me in everything I do, whom I love more than life itself, but who also tolerates my Problems. Within the last few years, my Family has met my birthdaughter, my Ex ( her Birthfather ) visits her a couple times a year, but I can't. Not just because I am so far away--I think even if I were there, I wouldn't be able to, physically and emotionally. And I don't fully understand that reaction. I have developed anxiety and fear so severe that I can't look people in the eye, and I have panic attacks at the mere thought of going shopping, going to a job interview, or meeting my fiancee's friends ( we've been together for over 3 years now, and I have only met two or three of his many close friends. )
I guess this long, very useless monologue is my desperate outcry asking if this is normal, or if I am just taking it exceptionally badly. Also, will it hit some low point and then let me rebound? Or will it just continue to coalesce into some amalgam of dysfunction and debilitation? I guess I'm just ranting.
P.S.; The Adoptive Family maintains a very open relationship with my family -- recently, they visited my grandparents, and everyone posted videos and pictures to facebook ( a trigger, I think, if there ever was one, ) and I'm told that she is aware, to some degree, of who they are ( her OTHER Grandparents, who doesn't want an entire extra set of Grandparents AND an Awesome Great-Uncle?! ) and of who my Ex is, though I'm sure to an almost-5-year old, it's impossible to grasp the entire enormity of it.
I guess you could say the only problem lies with me -- or rather, within me. I have never stopped feeling good about my decision -- I just don't feel good, overall, anymore.
Hi Heartland,
I am not a bmother but I do know that there are other bmoms who feel the same way as you do and that you are not alone.
I am bumping this up in the hope that some of the awesome bmoms on here see it and reply.
Advertisements
Hello I came to this website because I have been fighting so many feelings of confusion and doubts. I placed my son for adoption in 2004 and he is now 9. I am scared he may hate me, or be messed up when he grows up because of me. I was 16 when I had him and am now 25. I am married now 3 years and hurt alot, I keep it in and dont know what to say about my son to anyone. I agreed upon an open adoption, but the family isnt keeping me up to date and I am trying to be respectful but I feel as though I am being ignored. :confused: [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]
Heartland I can tell you from reading other birth mother posts that it's for sure a normal feeling. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I really hope some of the others come on and share their advice.
Sending huggs.
You aren't alone, and what you are going through is normal--it gets harder, not easier, despite what the "experts" say-- and yes, the effects can be crippling--many BSE mothers, especially, can point to lifelong problems, escape through substances, problems with relationships, etc.--so far you have dodged most of those bullets, which is a good thing.
But what's done is done, and you can't let it cripple you for life, or continue to keep you from contact with your child.
I would recommend counseling, also, but with a caveat--NOT counseling about the adoption or to supposedly help you with your grief--that's a total crock, IMO, and in fact not one school in the US offers one course in their curriculum about dealing with adoption grief, they don't know jack about it and counseling is all framed in terms that sugarcoat the adoption industry--but to help you have a good life despite the pain that never goes away--and that CAN happen.
PM me if you think I can help. There are thousands of us out there.
Hi Heartland,
Your post struck me a little because the past few years I've been having a fairly hard time with things. It's been 27 years since I placed my son, and I wish I could say that's it's gotten easier. Just when I think I've got it all under control, something happens and I get all mixed up again.
Your post moved me because in the first few years of my son's life, I sounded like you. Ours was a closed adoption, but I was positive that my son was better for the adoption, I had done the best thing for him, etc. I regurgitated what was said to me. Now I ask "Was it the best thing for him?" I honestly don't know. He won't respond to my requests for contact - I don't know his name, where he lives or anything else about him.
The reason I responded to you was to tell you that you should pay attention to how you feel now - don't bottle it up inside. I did and sooner or later, it will come out. Address your grief, acknowledge that it might last your entire lifetime, but know that it doesn't have to define you.
Become the person your daughter would be proud of - no matter how long it takes. Be yourself, forgive yourself (something I still struggle with) and love yourself.
Wishing you the best -
Kim
Advertisements
Hi Heartland, I tried to respond to you but I can't find my post yet? Does it take a while usually??? I am new to this forum.
Hi Heartland. I really feel for you. I lost my son to adoption 27 yrs ago, also ran far away, 2800 miles. Still running. It gets worse every day. Actually, it is so bad these days that it finally pushed me to find this forum. Maybe I can find help here from people like you. Thank you for sharing.
Hi Heartland,
I feel for you and I agree with what other birth mothers have shared here. I had no choice but to give up my daughter more than 30 years ago and the wound is still fresh. The pain is still there, time has not really healed it.
However, my life has been blessed with many other things and I keep trying to seek contact with my daughter. She is still not willing to see me, but I havent given up hope.
I recommend counseling. Forgive yourself and do everything you can to make this experience work as well as it can for you and your child.
Hugs, Jade.