Advertisements
Advertisements
Our story
This is what we consider to be our "last chance" at having a child in our lives. I'm 46 now. I've lost three children and three years ago lost my bladder and uterus to cancer. I am now cancer-free! We've fostered children for years and had four failed adoptions. Last chance adoption. If we can afford it.
My life reads like a soap opera. When I was 11, my sisters and I were hit by a car while waiting for the school bus. My little sister Kathy didn't survive. I was raised by a wonderful Mom and an abusive alcoholic Father. And then I married an abusive, drug addicted husband. Stayed with him for 12 years until I had the strength to leave.
In 2001, I met Mark, the most wonderful man ever. We married in 2003. In 2005, at the age of 37, Mark and I conceived our first child. In 2006, I gave birth to our son Daniel, too early for him to survive. Later that year, we lost our second child.
Fast forward to 2010 (time spent between 2006 and 2010 resulted in our becoming foster parents and having three failed adoptions). At the age of 42, I found out I was pregnant. Went for an ultrasound, where they found numerous tumors in my bladder. I lost the baby and started chemotherapy in Dec 2010.
In March 2011, I had my bladder surgically removed, along with my uterus....losing any chance of having our own baby. But, in the end, I was/am currently cancer-free. We named our third baby "Angel" for saving my life.
We became licensed as foster parents again, and had a 15 month old baby girl placed with us. On March 1, 2013, after living with us for over a year, baby girl was taken and given to an Aunt in another state. Failed adoption number 4.
After taking a much needed break, we began doing respite for, and then shared parenting, and then took placement of our pre-adoptive foster son. He had some issues, mostly with reactive attachment disorder. We took him to therapy, occupational therapy and tried to get him into RAD assessment. We were told that he needed to be in his forever home in order to get him that therapy. We were told we would be adopting him. He left our home two weeks ago to go back with his Mother. Failed adoption number 5.
Our first foster child was born at 28 weeks, 3 pounds. We had him for six months. He required occupation, physical and speech therapy. He had to wear a craniocap. He had to see a physician of some kind weekly. And we loved him to pieces and would have adopted him in a heartbeat.
Through all of this, my husband Mark has been the best friend, nurse, Father, husband, caretaker ever. He deserves to have a child. WE deserve to have a child. We've looked into adoption and have started the process, which could take years.
:wings: