Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello everyone and thank you in advance for your positive comments.
I am 47 years old, and am hopefully finishing up my home study soon. I say hopefully because a month ago I found out that Since I have lived in NY in the past 5 years I need to undergo a NY background check that consists of all my addresses for the last 28 years. This is not a problem. However, NY being NY they 'lost' my first submission, then told me to fax it and even provided a fax number. Only to return the paperwork to the agency in florida 2 weeks later with a note that NY State law requires an original signature and fax is not acceptable. It seems that I've been fighting the agency the entire time, I finished the required classes in May and they have not finished the home study yet. Since I am adopting from the foster system I don't have the option of changing agencies. Does anyone have any advice on how I might be able to light a fire under some folks to get this done?? :grr:
They can't finish the homestudy until all the background checks come back - that is a part of the homestudy. It may be that they are waiting for those. Some agencies won't even do the home visit/ interview until the background checks come back. Again, that has to do with their protocols. I would give them a call and ask whether there is something else you should be doing; I find that if I phrase things as "I just wanted to make sure I have done everything I'm supposed to because I don't want you to be waiting on me" people are more likely to get a move on if it's really about me having fallen through the cracks.
Advertisements
"I just wanted to make sure I have done everything I'm supposed to because I don't want you to be waiting on me"
Agreed. While I'm waiting for my home study report to be finished, I'm asking the same questions of my contacts at CPS. "Do you have all my paperwork?" "Are there other classes or things I could be doing in the meantime?"
I've found I need to be the proactive one, because I'm assuming that CPS is overwhelmed on their side; I'm just one of many hopeful parents, so my case isn't any more critical than others at my stage.
Keep at it! More single men need to feel that they too can do this.
"I just wanted to make sure I have done everything I'm supposed to because I don't want you to be waiting on me"
Agreed. While I'm waiting for my home study report to be finished, I'm asking the same questions of my contacts at CPS. "Do you have all my paperwork?" "Are there other classes or things I could be doing in the meantime?"
I've found I need to be the proactive one, because I'm assuming that CPS is overwhelmed on their side; I'm just one of many hopeful parents, so my case isn't any more critical than others at my stage.
Keep at it! More single men need to feel that they too can do this.
I decided to be proactive and called the New York state DCF group that handles the clearance I needed. And even though I asked the group in Florida to send the request overnight (and offered to pay for it to go over night) they sent it regular mail, the person in NY on thursday 9/18 confirmed receipt, found the paperwork and did the check, faxed the results to my agency in Florida. Now the home study has been submitted to the Program Director for Final signoff which will probably happen early next week some time.
:banana: :banana: :rockband: :banana: :banana:
I decided to be proactive and called the New York state DCF group that handles the clearance I needed. And even though I asked the group in Florida to send the request overnight (and offered to pay for it to go over night) they sent it regular mail, the person in NY on thursday 9/18 confirmed receipt, found the paperwork and did the check, faxed the results to my agency in Florida. Now the home study has been submitted to the Program Director for Final signoff which will probably happen early next week some time.
:banana: :banana: :rockband: :banana: :banana:
Advertisements
www.adoptedangel.com
1-800-305-8836
My name is Sophie
I myself was adopted and have over 40 years’ experience of Adoption Awareness offering Support and Guidance with:
NO JUDGMENT – TOTAL EMPATHY
The Importance of Forgiveness
Help of Understanding
Finding Courage
Personal Struggles
All the Challenges and Rewards for Adopted Family
Help instill Wisdom, Love and Inspiration
Find Your Strength Within
WE ALL HAVE BEEN BLESSED WITH A SECOND CHANCE. CALL ME AT 1-800-305-8836 – Sophie