Advertisements
Advertisements
I was wondering what steps you had to take, and what you had to have redone, if you moved from FFA to County in the same area and were current. When I asked the county licensing person he wasn't even sure so I'm supposing it doesn't happen that often.
I am not sure of the answer for you but....we are just getting stated with SC County, but I am still looking for the answer about the pro and con of county vs FFA. I do know from asking at county that you need to repeat the fingerprints as they are only good for the agency requesting them. I would think CPR, physical, first aide etc will transfer. As for the classes our county requires 27 hrs and the local agencies are less than 20. I am curious if you do the 27 hours do they transfer to an FFA.
Any thoughts about FFA vs county???
Advertisements
I am not sure of the answer for you but....we are just getting stated with SC County, but I am still looking for the answer about the pro and con of county vs FFA. I do know from asking at county that you need to repeat the fingerprints as they are only good for the agency requesting them. I would think CPR, physical, first aide etc will transfer. As for the classes our county requires 27 hrs and the local agencies are less than 20. I am curious if you do the 27 hours do they transfer to an FFA.
We pretty much had to re-do everything. We had to have a new homestudy, though they did take portions from the old one. We had to take new classes, and we had to renew our CPR/first aid certs as they had expired.
In general we have been happy going through the county.
When we first started, we were really open as we had no bio kids. We said 0-8, any gender, open to sibling sets and open to a variety of "issues". After being licensed, we were matched within 3 months with a 4 year old boy whose parents rights were about to be TPRd. We adopted him a year after placement and adore him completely. His worker was great. She was forthcoming with information, helpful, and generally pleasant to be around.
The second time around has been a little rougher. We decided to go on the fost adopt list again after his adoption finalized. We were a bit "pickier" this time as we had to think about our little guy first. He had to be oldest so under 6 years old was a requirement and the behaviors we would tolerate were limited this time around. Our worker this time was slower to respond. I understand our parameters had changed, but we heard nothing for months. I had to become the squeaky wheel. We were finally matched again a couple months ago this time with a sibling set ( somewhat outside our parameters in terms of behavior we are finding). Their worker is night and day from my son's worker. he is hard to communicate with and gives us almost no information.
I feel like I'm rambling. Basically, I have no experience with FFA, but overall we have been happy with county. Definitely see the difference a couple of years makes in the department though. I think budget cuts have hit them hard lately. Our new workers seem incredibly frazzled.
Advertisements
FFA vs. County.
In CA placements go to family first, county homes second and FFA homes third. Children that are harder to place, in a sibling set, or under a time constraint are often given to FFA homes as the FFA can generally place. We adopted our son, placed at 15 months, through our FFA. We also had other placements in our FFA.
That being said, it's easier to get placements from the county. However, having the addition of an FFA social worker can be nice especially if you have to advocate for services or if your county SW isn't forthcoming. I LOVE our FFA. Our FFA doesn't get many placement of very young children though. They usually get sibling sets or older children.
So, we are switching to county. We are current on all classes, CPR, home study is updated and good through 2016. I believe everything is going to transfer over. I'm submitting my package on Monday so I'll let everyone know. The biggest thing in switching for us, and why it might be different, is we were currently certified and switching. We literally just closed with our FFA.
FFA vs. County.
In CA placements go to family first, county homes second and FFA homes third. Children that are harder to place, in a sibling set, or under a time constraint are often given to FFA homes as the FFA can generally place. We adopted our son, placed at 15 months, through our FFA. We also had other placements in our FFA.
That being said, it's easier to get placements from the county. However, having the addition of an FFA social worker can be nice especially if you have to advocate for services or if your county SW isn't forthcoming. I LOVE our FFA. Our FFA doesn't get many placement of very young children though. They usually get sibling sets or older children.
So, we are switching to county. We are current on all classes, CPR, home study is updated and good through 2016. I believe everything is going to transfer over. I'm submitting my package on Monday so I'll let everyone know. The biggest thing in switching for us, and why it might be different, is we were currently certified and switching. We literally just closed with our FFA.
Santa Clara County said you would need to have finger prints done because they are good only for the requesting agency. I am guessing if you haven't already, talk to your case worker. In SCC you are now considered Resource Families and are certified not licensed. The class is 27 hours in length. When you are done you are certified for both foster (resource family) and adoption.
Hope this helps.
Santa Clara County said you would need to have finger prints done because they are good only for the requesting agency. I am guessing if you haven't already, talk to your case worker. In SCC you are now considered Resource Families and are certified not licensed. The class is 27 hours in length. When you are done you are certified for both foster (resource family) and adoption.
Hope this helps.
Advertisements