Advertisements
Advertisements
[FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]
Hello, Im new to this board and im looking for advice. We are currently fost/adopt parents here in California, and have placement of a newborn.
Here is a summary of our placement:Bio mom has been in & out of jail for years due to drug use, and Bio dad is currently in jail awaiting sentencing for some serious charges that will likely send him off to prison. Our sweet baby has a 2 year old sibling that was adopted a couple months ago, (not a relative placement) and at birth he was born drug exposed. We have had placement of him since he was 2 days old. (We were actually able to pick him up straight from the hospital, so it was an awesome experience!) Bio mom is currently not in jail so she is receiving her weekly hour visits, and has already been a no-show for a visit, and he's only 3 weeks old! My question to you is this. If the SW is looking to NOT offer reunification services to the Bio parents, where does that leave us as far as relative placement goes? So far, no relatives have shown an interest in him, and I was told Bio moms family is not even an option due to criminal history. Do we hold our breath until TPR happens? Is relative placement even an option after TPR? Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Happily Married to my Best Friend :love:
Momma to three Girls :hissy: :cheer: :clown:
Current placement of Baby V :male: 9/2014
Hoping to adopt!!
Previous placement: Baby J :cake: :male: 1 year old
5 month placement-RU with Bio M :clap:
No longer in our home, but forever in our hearts
It sounds like you are in love with this little bundle and hoping to keep them forever. Congratulations
it sounds like the CW is giving you promising information. Now sometimes they tell you no one else is an appropriate relative placement because
1) its true
2) they want to ease your angst
3) they are unaware of someone who is appropriate, as of today
Your post actually included an completely appropriate relative. The baby's bio sibling makes that entire other family qualify as kinship, should they choose to pursue
Someone estranged but part of the family (as i was) might not yet have been identified. A million things can happen
You're in for a rocky ride. Just love the baby and enjoy them while you have them.
if the stars align and you are able to make this permanent, then you can have a celebration at that time
best of luck to you
Advertisements
Thank You for your insight WCurry66. :thankyou: I know im overly anxious to know whats going to happen...and im trying not to assume anything at this point. SW did say that the adoptive parents of his bio sibling would NOT be considered for placement due to a change in their status..so now im just waiting for any other relatives to come forward. I firmly believe that if he is meant to be with us, then that's what will happen. Its just so hard not to worry about the unknown when your heart is involved.. Does anyone know about relative placement AFTER TPR? I do have a meeting with the SW next week, so I plan on asking her these questions if I still need an answer.
I believe they will want to have an adoptive resource identified before they file TPR. It sounds like you are in a good position. I hope your worker is open with you and answers all your questions! Enjoy this time with baby!
Hi - your case is very similar to our case which has come down to waiting for our official adoption date. In order to have TPR granted, the baby will need to be in an "adoptive" home - a plan has to be presented to the judge for TPR to be granted. Once TPR has been granted, there is an appeal period of 60 - 90 days (I think it is 60). If no appeals are filed during that time, your SW will start the necessary paperwork for adoption. They will not seek out any relatives/other options during the appeal period - that period is for the parent(s) or relative, etc to file an appeal which will then delay the case. We were told to expect the parents to file an appeal as they hadn't done any of the necessary steps to regain custody; however, they knew how to delay each and every court date/ruling. While they were great at causing us many headaches throughout the various court hearings, they rarely made it to a visit and when they did, they tested positive for drugs more than a couple of times but the best news was that they didn't file any appeals after TPR! We have 3 of their 6 children and 2 of them are officially adopted, just awaiting our adoption date on baby number 3. Hang in there! We were so nervous - especially with our baby, too...but it all worked out. Just keep giving that baby lots of love and TLC!