Advertisements
Advertisements
So hello everyone, I am new to anything like this and it is the first time I have tried to connect to people that were also adopted. I am in my mid twenties and was adopted into a multiracial home. We like to think of ourselves as the original brad and angelina family! Anyways I myself am African American, and the family I was taken into are Italian-American, I have an asian brother, a white brother, and another afro american sister. I have always identified more with my families culture. As a child we grew up in a culdesac, I went to predominently white schools before being homeschooled and we all had many great opportunities. When it was time for me to move out and go to college I faced horrible prejuudice because I didn't "act" black" I didn't listen to hard rap, I dated (and married) white men. People told me I was racist. I knew this couldn't be true.
I am now finishing my masters and I am writing a thesis paper on children taken into multiracial homes and how we identify. If any one would be interested in helping me out with that, feel free to share your story and send me a message.
Always here to be a friend and never judge
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]Well I have a different experience growing up adopted. I just turned 50 years young, so adoption was different back in the 60's. I am of mixed heritage, AA and Cauc. adopted by white folks. Both my brothers are white and adopted as well. I grew up with a white family in a white neighborhood at an all white school, plus I could pass as white. I was never told about my heritage and was denied my heritage. About Jr High myself and my peers questioned my ethnic background. It wasn't until my late 20's when I did some digging into my records did I finally realize what my ethnic background was. I always gravitated towards the black culture and didn't know why. I always felt out of place at family reunions and with my own adopted family, because I am nothing like my Ward and June Cleaver parents. I think some of my issues with my first husband(who was AA) stemmed from my issues dealing with who I was and the way I was raised and my issues with my heritage.
I was never accused of not acting black enough, probably due to the fact that I can pass as white, italian, hispanic, black, etc, due to my olive complexion. But my point is, I think all adult adoptees struggle with their heritage and the way they were brought up.
Advertisements