Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello. My name is Melissa and I joined this site because my husband and I are going to be adopting through foster care here in California. We are new to this whole thing and I have sooo many questions.
We have searched the adoptable children database and have found a little girl we have prayed about and feel God is calling us to adopt. I have emailed Sacramento County and just waiting to hear back.
I don't know where to start. I am starting to feel overwhelmed I guess you could say because I am not getting any answers.
I have a few questions and I am sorry if this is not where these go.
1.The little girl is in LA county and we live in Sacramento. Does that matter?
2.When adopting through foster care does the child get to come live with us through the process of adoption?
3.Since she is not in the same county or city as us do we go down and get her or do they bring her up here?
3. I have read that you do not need to own a house to be able to adopt. We live in a townhouse we do not own it we rent is that going to be problem? Also when it comes to finance how do the look at that? My husband and I are stable but we aren't nowhere near "rich". We can provide for a child as we have taken in relatives a few times throughout the years ages 17-newborn.
4. My husband I have tattoos. I have searched all over the internet for information about this and can't find it anywhere. I have a few tattoos mostly hidden but my husband and full sleves and hand tattoos (stupid mistakes as he likes to call them). Will that be held against us?
I'm sorry for all the question and if they sound stupid. Just wondering.
Thank you!
Hello-
Cangratualitons on your desire to adopt!
You will need to contact the county you live in to start the Fos-Adopt process. You will need to attend classes, have a homstudy and your home licensed. Your county will provide all the necessary classes, you just need to commit to getting them completed timely. The faster you complete, the faster you can e put on the waiting list. Teh child does live with you thorugh the process. As far as the location, you would need to check with the county. Typically the workers keep the children within their same county, but not always. You do not need to own your home to be considered. As for finances, the county will have you complete a financial summary sheet, but I'm sure you will be fine. you do not need to be rich. Tattoos will not be an issue.
Hope some of these answers helped. Congrats again and don't forget to get in touch with Department of HChildrens Services in your county for more information and to get started.
Good Luck!
Advertisements
Congratulations on making the decision to foster-adopt. It will be hard to tell if the child you found on the children's network will still be available once you complete the necessary steps to be approved. The good news is that there will still be a child out there that needs you! They do try to place children in the County they currently reside in first as well as what is best for their particular case and needs.
You do not need to own your own home or be rich to foster-adopt. The only thing you will most likely need when you rent (depending on your county requirements) will be a copy of your lease or a letter from your landlord giving permission to foster in the home (you have to "foster" in order to adopt). You will have to fill out a financial report/sheet; however, they are basically looking to make sure you can provide for yourselves and are not financially struggling. They just want to verify the child's needs can/will be met. The tattoos will not be an issue -they can not discriminate.
Once you go through the classes and learn about the entire process, you will be given a preference sheet and at that time, you will be able to let them know what age, race, issues, etc that you are comfortable with to find the perfect placement!
Congratulations on making the decision to foster-adopt. It will be hard to tell if the child you found on the children's network will still be available once you complete the necessary steps to be approved. The good news is that there will still be a child out there that needs you! They do try to place children in the County they currently reside in first as well as what is best for their particular case and needs.
You do not need to own your own home or be rich to foster-adopt. The only thing you will most likely need when you rent (depending on your county requirements) will be a copy of your lease or a letter from your landlord giving permission to foster in the home (you have to "foster" in order to adopt). You will have to fill out a financial report/sheet; however, they are basically looking to make sure you can provide for yourselves and are not financially struggling. They just want to verify the child's needs can/will be met. The tattoos will not be an issue -they can not discriminate.
Once you go through the classes and learn about the entire process, you will be given a preference sheet and at that time, you will be able to let them know what age, race, issues, etc that you are comfortable with to find the perfect placement!
Welcome! I can tell you that, unless the child you are inquiring on is medically fragile, she most likely will not be available once you complete the fostering requirements. However, there are thousands of children waiting for you. You will have many opportunities to be presented cases and your little girl is out there. Keep the faith and take the steps one at a time.
We have been fostering for two years and are currently switching agencies. We have to repeat our baby steps and keep the faith that another child is waiting for us. I know that it will happen. I know because I've adopted from this crazy system. You can do this!
Advertisements
Welcome! I can tell you that, unless the child you are inquiring on is medically fragile, she most likely will not be available once you complete the fostering requirements. However, there are thousands of children waiting for you. You will have many opportunities to be presented cases and your little girl is out there. Keep the faith and take the steps one at a time.
We have been fostering for two years and are currently switching agencies. We have to repeat our baby steps and keep the faith that another child is waiting for us. I know that it will happen. I know because I've adopted from this crazy system. You can do this!