Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Thread: Racial Identity
I like the previous comments. I have a question to add:
We adopted our daughter at age 2, and was told (in the medical history paperwork post-adoption) that she was "a little bit Indian." (meaning Native American). However, I do not know how much is "a little bit" (and find it interesting that they used "Indian" instead of Native American.) When pressed, I learned the probable tribe , but am not sure. My daughter is pretty tan, and gets awesomely dark in the summer, but her tan-ness comes from her tan Caucasian birth mother, not her super fair-skinned birth father's family (all blond, very pale and freckled), the side that claims the Native American blood.
DD loves that she is part Native American, and when she's dark in summer, she say's it's because she is an Indian princess. (I hate to break it to her, but the tan doesn't come from her Native American heritage - her half sibs on that side are all super-white.)
So, how much do I enrich this cultural heritage, when I am not sure of the tribe, and suspect that there is very little Native America blood in her. She likes it, and we go with it, and it's neat, but we haven't done anything with it really, like connect with any groups, or incorporate any traditions from her probable tribe. It would be fun, but what if we did all that, and then found out it was the wrong tribe? LOL!
Thoughts?
I bought them dolls that looked like them, bought them books with characters that look like them, watched movies and shows with main characters that looked like them, took them to cultural events like step shows and community pride gatherings and we have a Kwanzaa observance. I
Last update on May 23, 12:13 pm by SASY LAITY.