Advertisements
Advertisements
I also want him to feel connected to other people who look more like him. Given his somewhat complex racial background, they aren't necessarily of the same race, and given the cultural make-up where we live, most do not have the same cultural background. Those things add a complication to things, but it's a work in progress.
Advertisements
Societies use race to establish and justify systems of power, privilege, disenfranchisement, and oppression. The notion of race is a social construct designed to
Although race has no genetic or scientific basis, the concept of race is important and consequential. Societies use race to establish and justify systems of power, privilege, disenfranchisement, and oppression.
Although race has no genetic or scientific basis, the concept of race is important and consequential. Societies use race to establish and justify systems of power, privilege, disenfranchisement, and oppression.
Let your child think that. When said child gets old enough, do an ancestry test. I also thought I had more native ancestry but according to Ancestry, i am 50% European. But please do not go “I don’t see race”. When your non white children go out in the world, society will make sure they see race.
Advertisements
Racial identity and ethnic identity are terms that refer broadly to how individuals define themselves with respect to race and/or ethnicity. Arroyo and Zigler (1995) defined racial identity as “attempts to balance racial group membership needs and personal desires for positive relations with the larger society”