Advertisements
Advertisements
I've had my FS since birth he is now 40 months old-& TPR still hasn't happened-birthmom is preg & could possibly have new baby before they go back to court in Dec-anyone know how this works? This makes baby 6 she has never parented any of them-I've been told her bonding eval indicates she won't ever be able to parent any child-(mental issues, drug addict, homeless, jobless all Longterm)-she has done nothing on case plan but occasional visits-misses months at a time then reappears-will they automatically take baby & if so do they give her a case plan? I hate to see my FS not be raised with a sibling but don't know if I can handle 3+ more years under the states thumb or the emotional roller coaster. birthmom did try to VS but someone questioned her competency to do so & birthmom was requested to go for eval-she never did & now has her own GAL-Would they move my FS a to be with new sibling? Many thanks for any insight....I would ask CW but doubt I will get the truth & since I am not liked @ Local office don't think they will call us when baby is born.
That is just so not right and against everything they talk about in training. Where is this child's lawyer and CASA? What county are you in? This is so ridiculous! Wow. I am sorry you are dealing with this. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk to another NJ foster mom.
Advertisements
If the baby is born with drugs in his/her system, it is likely that he/she will be placed in foster care, until a determination is made that he/she can either return to his biological Mom, be adopted by a relative, or be adopted by a non-relative. The time to start talking with Social Services about your interest in raising the child, along with the sibling already in your home, is now. And you need people on your side. You may want to have your attorney involved, and you should try to develop support from your current child's social worker or guardian ad litem, and so on. Persistence is going to be important.
In general, the courts support keeping siblings together, unless there is a compelling reason to separate them -- for example, if one child has significant medical issues that would put a lot of demands on a parent, and make it difficult for the parent to raise the sibling, as well, or if one child has been physically or sexually abused, over a significant period of time, by the other child. So it would certainly be reasonable for you to make an effort to foster the new child, as well as his/her sibling.
I understand your frustration with the fact that your current foster child has not been legally freed yet, despite overwhelming evidence that the mother is not making any progress in getting her life together. But for your current child's sake, as well as for the sake of the new baby, when he/she is born, I hope that you will continue to advocate for him/her. Demonstrate in every way possible, that placing the new baby with you, and allowing both children to be adopted by you, is in the best interests of both children.
Sharon
Sharon
Last update on September 8, 7:45 pm by Sharon Kaufman.
I am kinda in the same situation... I have had my 1st neice since 9 months old she is 4yo. My second we got at 18 days old... she is 20 months. We just went to court 10 days ago and they changed the goal to TPR and Adoption. The new baby is due 9/15 and we are trying to get a waiver to bring this baby home. We are hoping to adopt. Since the process of TPR just started and that takes up to a year they said, does that mean the baby could be added to this case or is he getting his own?