Advertisements
Advertisements
Has anyone converted their child to orthodox? My husband and I are Jewish and I would like an Orthodox conversion that's recognized by the Beth Din of Israel. Has anyone successfully done this before? My daughter is 10 years old and we recently adopted her. We are a secular family but we keep Shabbat, have a kosher home etc. However, my daughter does not go to a Jewish school. She is in public school as they cater more to her needs. Any advice?? Any suggestions?
Many Orthodox rabbis will conduct conversions of children only if they will be raised in an Orthodox home. Others are more liberal on these matters. Talk to your rabbi, regardless of his/her affiliation; there's a good chance that he will be able to direct you to an Orthodox rabbi who will be willing to do the conversion, since you do keep Kosher, Shabbat, etc. You can also call the Orthodox synagogues in your area.
Sharon
Advertisements
Many Orthodox rabbis will conduct conversions of children only if they will be raised in an Orthodox home. Others are more liberal on these matters. Talk to your rabbi, regardless of his/her affiliation; there's a good chance that he will be able to direct you to an Orthodox rabbi who will be willing to do the conversion, since you do keep Kosher, Shabbat, etc. You can also call the Orthodox synagogues in your area.
Sharon
Thanks for your response. Our Rabbi is trying to help us with this but unfortunately cannot connect us to anyone that will allow it because my daughter is in public school. There are a number of reasons not to move her as it will set her backwards rather than forwards. Judaism is of extreme importance to us, but so is my daughter's emotional and mental state. So if you know of anyone that has successfully converted to Orthodox by a Rabbi, who can see the whole picture, please share the Rabbi's name, and state.
If your reasoning is that it be accepted in Israel, a conversion done outside of Israel is acceptable regardless of the denomination of the rabbi as long as it is done correctly. You need to have a bet din, and she needs to go to the mikvah, but a Reform, Conservative, or Reconstructionist rabbi is still allowed to perform it. I was converted Reform, as was my son, but both are accepted in Israel because they happened outside of Israel. It is only if a conversion happens within the country that it must be done by an Orthodox rabbi.
Actually, I was told that if my daughter ever wished to make Aliyah, or to marry an Orthodox man in Israel, she would probably have to go through a second conversion. She was converted in a Kosher mikvah, in a Conservative synagogue, but the Beth Din included female rabbis (Reform and Conservative). I was told that even some Orthodox conversions in the U.S. could be questioned. My daughter went to a Conservative Jewish day school, has visited Israel on a Birthright trip, speaks enough Hebrew to communicate with Israeli storekeepers, and so on, but we are not an Orthodox family.
Advertisements