Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm doing this for the first time this year; anybody else heard of it? It is the month when plastic toy dinosaurs come alive at night and cause trouble. A friend sent me something on it last year, and I thought it was fantastic, so I decided to try it. Tonight my little guy's dinosaurs are ravaging the only greenery (the house plants) that we will see for months.
I know this isn't specifically single-parent related, but it goes along with some of my thoughts on single parenting lately. I was reading vernellinnj's thread and the comments several folks put in about wanting to be in a relationship. I can't imagine having the time or energy to date anyway, but it got me to thinking that there are lots of things I love about being a single mom. One of them is that I don't have to compromise; if I want to do something like this, I can. Not that I couldn't have a partner who was into this type of thing, too, but nobody always agrees on everything, and there are times when I really love getting to decide without discussion with another adult.
Not looking for a conversation going in any particular direction, but I did think I would share and see if anyone else did have thoughts in any direction. Oh, and if you want more information on Dinovember (no, I did not make this up), here is the link:
[url=http://dinovember.tumblr.com/]Dinovember[/url]
This sounds like fun! I decided not to do "Elf on a Shelf" because I don't want to portray Santa as threatening no gifts if behavior isn't good. Dinovember is definitely something I'd like to try. It sounds like it has the fun aspect but not the "i'm watching you, you better be good" aspect.
I'm one of those who posted about wanting to be in relationship but I definitely see what you're saying. I was thinking about this before I saw this thread. I wasn't feeling great yesterday. Nothing too terrible, not enough to call someone to help me with Sweetpea, but still not great. If I was married or had a partner, I would have had him be the one to take care of the bedtime routine so I could rest. I like the fact that I was still the one to do the bath, brush the teeth, read stories, and sing good night songs. You're also right about not having to compromise.
I'm finding some minimal time to date (you're right it's not easy) but if a relationship doesn't happen I'll be okay with it.
Advertisements
I agree with both of you. I've been feeling sick this whole week, and with the time change here, it's been rough. I'm often glad that I'm doing my own thing (even the adoption lawyer said, "It's better to be a single mom than be co-parenting with someone who's not a great parent."), but sometimes, I'm just exhausted by the routine and the early morning wakings and being "on" all the time. Plus, I teach elementary school and have a very needy, clingy dog, too, so I'm emotionally drained from everybody needing everything. I'm not complaining; I love my life and the turn it's taken. Sometimes I just want to sleep!! :)
I absolutely get the times of wishing there were someone to take the pressure off. I've decided that my ideal would be to have my best friend move in next door; she could take him for auntie time, help out when I'm sick, etc, and I could still not have to compromise with another parent. ;)
Leeah, I've vaguely heard of elf on a shelf, but I don't know much about it. I really don't like the idea of something that has the watching over you to make sure you're good aspect; that seems not only potentially anxiety provoking for kids, but also a bit creepy (Santa as stalker?).
I absolutely get the times of wishing there were someone to take the pressure off. I've decided that my ideal would be to have my best friend move in next door; she could take him for auntie time, help out when I'm sick, etc, and I could still not have to compromise with another parent. ;)
Leeah, I've vaguely heard of elf on a shelf, but I don't know much about it. I really don't like the idea of something that has the watching over you to make sure you're good aspect; that seems not only potentially anxiety provoking for kids, but also a bit creepy (Santa as stalker?).
Totally agree! I love being a single mom....even thinking about looking into adopting number two, but hesitant because things are just so happy and content :)
Love the dinosaur idea! Ive seen some on pinterest but didnt know it was a thing...I was thinking about doing elf on the shelf but havent decided yet!
Advertisements
Ha! and those thoughts are why Im not so into elf on the shelf....but then again, I would treat it more like a childhood game and less of a "report back behavior to santa" type thing....I think it sounds fun! We do Santa but its not played up a lot since we try to focus mainly on the birth of Christ, so elf would be along those lines, a fun thing to do in childhood :)