Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi, I live in Warren County, NJ and I'm looking for any information about the process. I sent in my application today, so I'm in the very early stages. I'm just so excited but I'm nervous because I don't know what to expect.. I've done a lot of reading and research but I was looking for New Jersey specifically because I know things vary state to state.
Not sure I can help but I'm in Hunterdon County and it's been a few years since I went through licensing. But ask away!
Advertisements
Hi, thank you! I was just wondering how quick things move.. From the application process to training, etc. I know placement depends on the situation as far as how long it takes. I was also wondering what the major things are in the home inspection.
As I said, it's been awhile. It took me about five months from application to license but mine may have been quick as I had an identified child who was fourteen at the time.
As to the home inspection ... the manual of requirements lays it all out pretty clearly. I was, happily, surprised I didn't need to make many changes but again, I was looking at a fourteen year old. You will certainly need the right amount of space per child, smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, correct water temperature, and so on. I was caught a bit off guard by the requirement to lock up all vitamins, supplements, OTC medications, as well as prescription stuff. Took a lot more space than I was expecting!
Fences for water stuff, no peeling paint, the average sort of stuff. Do you have any specific concerns?
As I said, it's been awhile. It took me about five months from application to license but mine may have been quick as I had an identified child who was fourteen at the time.
As to the home inspection ... the manual of requirements lays it all out pretty clearly. I was, happily, surprised I didn't need to make many changes but again, I was looking at a fourteen year old. You will certainly need the right amount of space per child, smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, correct water temperature, and so on. I was caught a bit off guard by the requirement to lock up all vitamins, supplements, OTC medications, as well as prescription stuff. Took a lot more space than I was expecting!
Fences for water stuff, no peeling paint, the average sort of stuff. Do you have any specific concerns?
My wife and I just completed the process in NJ. As of 12/16/14 we were officially licensed. The process is exciting, emotional, and I promise it will make you realize things about yourself that you never knew! I wish someone told us during this process that you do not have to be perfect, and do not stress the little things. Do not let the resource workers/inspectors talk you into accepting children that you are not comfortable with (i.e. special needs, age ranges, number of children) That's probably the best advice. Make sure you push your resource worker, and keep them on track. You can finish the process as quickly as you push/want to. The process normally takes 150 days from start to finish, we completed everything including training in 58 days. Last night we received our first phone call. Unfortunately (for us) / fortunately (for the child) she was placed with family so it didn't not work out for us. We are still hopefully that the child that was meant for us will come, and soon our family will grow. We are looking to adopt from the Foster Care system. Good luck, and I hope everything works out!!
Advertisements